02 290 Ignition Set Up

strugglinon

You helpful folks on TC have been so helpful to this newbie so far. So here I go again.

I've split and rebuilt my 290 after a leaky centre gasket. All went well until I started it (2nd kick), it ran well for a few seconds then it all went a bit wrong.

Heard a rubbing noise and straight away I'd realised that is not torqued up the flywheel and it'd come loose. I'd put the stator back on in exactly the same position. I've no spark at all. The Ryan Young site shows a flywheel with several holes for lining up and the stator plate. Mine only has two holes for the holding tool. I'm lost and need some assistance please.

Eventually I'll be able to offer advice, but until then, I'm asking again.

Thanks everybody.

Bilks, you're right, it's a '03-'04 flywheel. So this bike's had a bit of work done on it? I've not had it long (a couple of months).

When I took the flywheel off after the breakdown, first time stripping a motor, I didn't notice a keyway in the crank. I assumed it was an interference fit. In retrospect, the flywheel nut came off very easily. So maybe this was a disaster waiting to happen. The woodruff key is sheared so smoothly that initially I figured it was just a mark on the crank.

In my other posts I've put up, you'll see that it's never ran properly since I got it. I hoping that a lot of my problems stem from this issue.

• Like 1

Well after figuring out the year of my engine '03-'04 not an '02. I got my timing set with a dial gauge and happy days, we're away and its running smoothly. I've put two base gaskets in it to soften the delivery a bit. It's worked to a point but it's still an animal. So happy it's running again and thank you all so much for all the great advice about my troubled Sherco.