Oset Batteries

kwackerzak

If you are good at electronics you can buy all the stuff you need and do a lipo battery upgrade( plenty of discussions under electric bikes on this forum)

I'm not so took the safer easier(yes more expensive) route of a ready made pack from boost bikes. Depending on terrain, speed etc they last up to 4 hours and save several kilos.

Been worth every penny for the extra use he gets from the bike at a trial

If you are good at electronics you can buy all the stuff you need and do a lipo battery upgrade( plenty of discussions under electric bikes on this forum)

I'm not so took the safer easier(yes more expensive) route of a ready made pack from boost bikes. Depending on terrain, speed etc they last up to 4 hours and save several kilos.

Been worth every penny for the extra use he gets from the bike at a trial

Thanks timdog

No I'm not that good either, and those packs are rather expensive!

After the batteries ran out yesterday we put the bike away and I've been out this morning and turned the key on and it shows on the battery indicator on the throttle that the battery is three quarters full? Does this mean the batteries are past their best or is the charger faulty?

I'm new to the electric trials game, but we can ride the 20 for about an hour before it gets down to 3 led's. By which time we're tired, but the bike still rips!

Granted we're still beginners and riding on the low power setting.

This is with the standard SLA's.

Maybe in a few months time we may run into limitations with the SLA's, but for now I've been pleasantly surprised with the longevity.

Maybe get your batteries checked?

I think it also makes a difference if the rest of the drive train is well maintained,i.e. brakes not dragging.

I have been told that the chargers for the SLA batteries stop charging when the first battery in the battery pack reaches peak volts. Hence battery #1 could be at 13 volts, but batteries #2 and #3 could be at say 12.8 and #4 could be down at 12.1! This variation gets greater over time and hence the shorter run times. In the OSET tech video on the suject they recommend periodically to pull the batteries from the bike and charge each one individually on a 12volt charger to get them all up to pak volts and you are back in business.

If you don't fancy the LiPo route then invest in some new lead batteries. If your existing batteries are relatively old they'll have gradually reduced in capacity over time, new batteries should give a noticeable increase in performance. Best value way is not to buy batteries from Oset but to search eBay for the right size/voltage/capacity batteries as these will be significantly cheaper.

The standard batteries used to last a couple of hours turned up to full power,depending on use so I would charge the pack then use a volt meter to check each one on its own. They do occasionally need balancing as mentioned above, just use a 12v battery charger on each battery on its own, I had a cheep motorcycle battery charger.

If after charging a battery is even showing 11.8 volts it's a dud and needs replacing, running one dud in the pack would certainly make a difference.

I recently found a great deal on a 12.5 for my 2 year old. The guy I bought the bike off of said the batteries where shot, had been sitting in the bike for months untouched. He refunded me 100 bucks to buy new batteries, which I ordered. I charged the old batteries on a battery tender and they took a charge up to 12.38, and 12.56. My question is recharging these like this will they hold that charge? How much of the original integrity is lost?

• 4 years later...