Ty250A Lost Spark

scot taco

I was out riding a couple of months ago and she just went dead.

Working on it as I get time I replaced the points and condenser.Still nothing.

So next I remove all but the primary coil and rewire with all new and still nothing.Tried a HT coil that I had from a Suzuki and still dead.

So yesterday I put the old lighting coil in place of the primary coil and bingo,we have spark! 

I still have to get it out to see how it runs,but I thought it might be of help for a cheaper fix if it has not already been posted.

Cheers and merry christmas to all.

• Like 3

I just wanted to add that I did not come up with this idea on my own.I had filed it away in my decreasing memory banks from a story that lbhbul (Larry) had told me about doing the same on a sherpa t many years ago and it is still running on the same lighting coil.

When it comes to electrics I am about as ignorant as they come,but I am learning.Just another example of how much help this site can be and how it has led to some really good friendships.

post-17837-0-26992500-1482864515_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Yes there is not a huge difference in the voltage generated by the lighting coil compared with the LT coil. The ignition might have even worked with the lighting coil in the original position, because there are four magnets and the coils are opposed on the stator plate.

I was working on a friend's TY175 and was having a hellova time trying to get the flywheel off. After many hours of heating/cooling it popped off unexpectedly and fell on the concrete floor (the bike was up on a bike workbench so it fell about a metre). One of the four flywheel magnets broke in the impact. Luckily the broken magnet was one that is only used by the lighting coil. I removed the broken magnet and the opposing magnet (to keep it balanced) and the ignition still worked fine.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 3