Sign in to follow this  
compactpete

Hi, advice please!

Hi, new to the forum. I did one or two novice trials on a Gas Gas JTX270 back in the 90's after packing in motocross and loved it - but commitments got in the way so never did any more and sold the bike.

Wind forward 20 years and I now have the time and would love to get back into it but would consider myself a novice again.

I went to a local trial last week for a look and things don't seem to be that much different (bikes aside) spoke to a few people and got some good, if not conflicting advice.

I've seen lots of posts on here about a 125 being a good place to start, it makes sense, but I'm 6ft and 15 stone so not sure if it's a good idea? I also like the look of the new four strokes....

Any advice much appreciated!

Edited by compactpete

1 hour ago, compactpete said:

Hi, new to the forum. I did one or two novice trials on a Gas Gas JTX270 back in the 90's after packing in motocross and loved it - but commitments got in the way so never did any more and sold the bike.

Wind forward 20 years and I now have the time and would love to get back into it but would consider myself a novice again.

I went to a local trial last week for a look and things don't seem to be that much different (bikes aside) spoke to a few people and got some good, if not conflicting advice.

I've seen lots of posts on here about a 125 being a good place to start, it makes sense, but I'm 6ft and 15 stone so not sure if it's a good idea? I also like the look of the new four strokes....

Any advice much appreciated!

Hello Pete, I returned to trials a month back now and i am just over six foot and weigh around the same and ive bought a 250. It was 100% the right choic, you will pick it up again in no time and you dont want to have to buy twice if you know what i mean. Ive never ridden a four stroke trials bike but im sure someone else will have some information on the pro's and cons of both.

I came back to trials after 47 years, having hardly thrown a leg over a bike in between. So definitely rating myself as novice. I ended up buying a Beta 300 4 stroke. It seemed a bit of a handful at first but it hasn't tried to kill me for weeks now. Indeed I've just put the quick throttle tube back on, though I haven't tried it out again yet. I was also advised to buy a 125 but whenever I saw them being ridden, they seemed to need to be revved so hard on climbs. Personally, from my very slight experience, I would suggest a 250 2T or any 4T, depending on your preference.

• Like 1