Honda TL125 front fork improvements

ronwright

Thanks to everyone for their help on my previous topic regarding TL fork stripdown. Whilst I am changing the oil etc are there any mods that I can do to improve the forks. At the moment after the bike has been on its stand and the front forks unloaded once the wheel starts to come back in contact with the ground the forks tend to jerk a bit and sag an inch or two. They seem quite soft in their action. As I intend to strip the forks down it would be sensible to try and improve them if it is advisable at the same time as the stripdown..

I haven't dealt with these Honda forks before but I do know with my Montesa the oil was the wrong grade and one stauntion actually had gearbox oil in it....believe it or not.

I also found this oil to be very dirty ,this required a lot of cleaning to get all the muck out,you will most likely find your springs have sagged over time,you can buy or get made preload spacers but in reality replacement of the springs is a better longterm solution,when you replace the fork seals go for the new generation double lip type (SKF) they last a lot longer.

If your forks move in a jerky motion I would suggest you get them checked for straightness before attempting a rebuild,good luck .