Ty 250 Twinshock Piston Kits.

jon v8

Hello all - my first post here,please be gentle ! I have recently bought a very smart looking ty250,with a few mechanical issues.I have had the motor to bits and put in a new rod and bearings/mains and seals etc.But I'm not very happy with the top end,it was bored .5mm o/s and fitted with an aftermarket piston from Hirsts.

The top end is very noisy - esp at idle,not too bad with a few revs on.I know its never going to be devoid of two stroke rattles,but this is too much !

I have almost 2 spare engines so there are a few options,my question is does anyone know where I can get original pistons or maybe Wiseco ones in the UK ? I have accurate measuring kit and the piston/bore clearance is OK - I just dont like the look of the piston,it doesnt look very nicely made and i've been told originals are no longer available.What do you reckon ? Should I put up with the rattling ? Cheers.

you cant get genuine pistons now for ty250s and the pattern ones you get are slightly different on the ports if you put them along side each other you will see that the port holes on the pattern pistons are silghtly smaller and you have to machine them out to match the genuine ones also make sure when you get it bored out tell the guy not to bore it to slackthe tolarances are very important its better to be a bit slack and run it carfully for a while rather than run it with a slack bore an it rattle like a box of spanners but you can get wisco pistons from the states at the right money to by the way do you have a spare flywheel and coils with back plate for a ty250 t/shock for cash

Cheers for the quick response - all points noted,I thought that would be the situation with the pistons.Sorry,but as yet I dont have any bits to sell - I bought basically 2 complete bikes and most of a spare engine off Ebay,(my first and only purchase)one was complete and running,the other is boxes of bits.I originally meant to get the second bike up and running and flog it to make the first bike cheap.Trouble is the bug has bitten again,it is 21 years since I did my first trial and in September Bath Classic Bike Club are holding a trial 2 fields away from where I live - the same place as then.(On an early 250 Beamish)

Over the years I have had so many nice bikes, I look back and now think "sod it" - in terms of their financial worth I'd just as well keep them.I will be buying more Ty bits as they come up though,if I can help I will,but for now I just need to get both of them going,one to ride and admire,one to argue with myself about !