Sherpa 350 Swingarm Bushes

penno350

The rebuild continues but I am struggling with the swingarm bushes on my 350 199A. After trying a Sammy Miller kit which wasn't too succesful I have got a set of Bushes from Dave Renham. I have pressed in the Bronze outers which seemed to take more effort than I thought it should but there is no way the inners will go in without what seems like an equal amount of effort.

My assumption is that the outers rotate on the inners is that correct or does the whole assembly rotate on the spindle?

Is it normal to need a lot of effort to fit the outers and are the inners normally that tight?

All advice and suggestions gratefully received before I have to mortgage the kids to buy more bits!

Penno350 :rolleyes:

• 4 years later...

The rebuild continues but I am struggling with the swingarm bushes on my 350 199A. After trying a Sammy Miller kit which wasn't too succesful I have got a set of Bushes from Dave Renham. I have pressed in the Bronze outers which seemed to take more effort than I thought it should but there is no way the inners will go in without what seems like an equal amount of effort.

My assumption is that the outers rotate on the inners is that correct or does the whole assembly rotate on the spindle?

Is it normal to need a lot of effort to fit the outers and are the inners normally that tight?

All advice and suggestions gratefully received before I have to mortgage the kids to buy more bits!

Penno350 :rolleyes:

hi mate i havant fitted std bushes but i have just fitted the converion kit witch i got off bultaco uk found it simpel to fit sorry dosant answer your quetion

Your bronze bushes should be a light to moderate press fit. A big vise should give all the pressure you need to install the bronze bushings. If you need more than that then I'd suspect the bushings are a bit large on the OD for your particular swing arm.

You can expect the ID of the bush to collapse a little when pressed in. Some companies bore the bush ID on size and expect you to ream or hone after fitting (but they've given you a straight bore to start with) and others may try and give you a slightly oversize ID and hope that they've calculated the shrinkage just right to give you a proper clearance after it is pressed in. Or you could have a Ducati single where they give you a bushing that's got about 3-4 mm of excess material that needs to be removed from the ID. :)

Your inner bush + center spacer should be a couple thou longer than the outside dimension at the bronze bushing flange. The inner bushes/spacer do not rotate, they should be clamped solid between the frame plates. When you torque the spindle nut your stack acts more like a solid part and helps add some stiffness to the pivot area. If your bike has the aluminum motor mount like my Mo. 159 inspect the casting around the pivot hole to see if it has chafed/collapsed to a smaller width or if the faces on the two sides are no longer parallel.

Ideally you'd have something like .0005-.001" clearance between the inner and bronze bushings, just enough to get some grease between them.

cheers,

Michael

Edited by MichaelMoore