My Dixie Cup

alan bechard

The family and I had the distinct pleasure of competing in the Dixie Cup this past weekend. After weeks of on again, off again trying to decide if we were going or not it was finally decided that Friday morning for the wife, son and myself to go, and my daughter decided Friday night about 9:30 that she would come along as well.

The Dixie cup is a premier event here in the Central US and this years event was no exception. Excellent facilities coupled with well thought out sections and thankfully beautifull weather made this one great time.

We started our weekend hitting the road about 5:30am to make the 12 start time on Saturday. Rolled in without hassle, got parked and went through the signup. Wishing I had a bit more foresight and better planning and I could have signed us all up online. This is a wonderful system that TI uses, and we tried to implement in the STRA and it just never really took hold.

We all got changed and bikes ready and went out for a great day. It was different riding with my wife, you get the normal first ride jitters, but I was concentrating more on her, and her having a good time and not getting hurt so it distracted me even more then normal. Just ask Dan, it is usually the running joke that I have to ask were I go next in the middle of the sections even when I am riding alone :crying:

It was damp and muddy at the start of the day with a threat of rain the entire day, it reminds me of what a great job Gary, Brad and the rest of the Saddleback crew do that they had the sections set to grab points, but there was nothing I saw that struck me as dangerous or hazardous, even if the rain had come. And believe me, there are plenty of places out there that can get ugly. Hanna my wife struggled a lot starting out, she has just begun riding, but did real well in my opinion. She would paddle through the difficult or scary parts and then get up and ride where she felt confident. I was exceptionally pleased to see her progress throughout the weekend. She had one get off on the trail, it was a flat and slimy trail along the creek bed and she could see where riders would "shoot the edge" of mud holes and the like, I had meant to warn her to just go through, or to get well up on the flat, because you cannot apply power while your rear wheel is on the slope or it will pass you....... :rolleyes: Well, she got the up close and personal lesson on that and somehow twisted her knee in the process. It was definetely quick..... She then had to use the auto start feature on her Sherco 125 for a while but she kept riding which I thought was great.

I must say, the encouragement of the other riders and spectators and observers sure is what makes trials such a great and family freindly sport. The Youngs, especially, as well as so many others that just make the days spent with our trials Family great. The guy on Section three singing German folk songs when she came through, A big thanks to Jimmy Z for catching her as she rolled backwards down a hill, then coaching her through it, Jim W who was so banged up from RI that I probably would have been home laying in bed, yet he was out there both days observing and cheering folks on. The ladies that took their time and had hot food out there for us, man, I just cannot say enough how that all combined together to make for some great times.

Other wandering highlights.

Sat, I was doing great Loop 2, clean loop, Loop 3 I think a 1 pointer, section 1, loop 4 go in and got just a bit off line, a small sapling I did not notice hooks my front brake on a downhill...... :crying: Can you say, BODYSLAM.....Bike lands on my legs, thank god I am not hurt,,,,,,,,, Then realize I am really, really stuck. A big thanks to Big Dean for coming over and getting the bike off me, I get up, apparently still not quite with it,,,,,, :D Tell Big Dean I have the bike, let it roll forward just a bit, take a step back into a big hole and fall over again with the bike on me........ :o

Little Dean (mine) links up and rides with Ryan and Blaine on Sunday..... Now there is trouble in the making...... Christina (daughter) who decides to check Sunday and spend some time with her freinds, looks up in her section and there are all three of them MX'ing through the section at the same time..... Memories and experiences like that will stay with Dean a lifetime I think.

Dean gets to the last section of the day Sunday.... has 1 point for the day so far. (39 sections) Hanna and I are there and Dean goes big, pulls a big stoppie into the section (copying his hero Ryan) gets in too low on a different line and ends up dropping 3. We all thought it would end up a 5, but he sat there and hopped the front to the side and got it back on line....... Hung the front wheel on a tree as he was pivoting...... He is getting better as he gets bigger.

Big Bicycle Trials on Saturday..... Dean just wore himself out, fell asleep in the truck on the way to get Pizza, that was one bushed kid, but wanted to go back for another round in the morning.

Christina rode real well and in control. She has not had the interest she has had in the past, I think Teenageitis is catching up with her, but she did really great all in all and rode well. Helped her mom through some of the tight spots and was right there too coach etc.

Long drive back Sunday night, and a Labor day spent Washing everything, but great memories that will last a lifetime.

A heartfelt thanks to the TI croud.... (that was for Lane)

Great write up Alan.

Sure was a good weekend for trials, and the family.

Always a pleasure to see you and your family.

It was funny when Hannah asked If I had seen you.

Then you come around with a crash story.

She kept going like you weren't needed anymore.

(confidence) ( no auto-start needed)

Great to see Dean so excited about his good loops and riding well.

Hope your coming to Stoney in 2 weeks

Pictures on the web site.

Milt

Yup the Quarry Cup always a great event even if I have rode one dry and the rest was raining or wet.

jake

Mid-America Trials Team

Sept. 16th & 17th, 2006

33rd

Annual

Quarry Cup

Rounds 1 & 2 of Central Regional Series

A.M. Classes: *Cadet, Beginner, Novice, Amateur, Senior Amateur

P.M. Classes: Intermediate, Senior Expert, Expert, Master

Start Times: Sat. Sept. 16th, A.M. Riders

• 2 weeks later...