malibudon

Behalf Of Pete Croft

Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 5:09 AM

To: Ata-List@Yahoogroups. Com

Subject: [ata-list] Fred Belair

I received a call from Martin Yesterday Monday October 2nd, 2006 to announce

that his dad Fred Belair had passed away earlier that day, he was 83-yrs old

and had been dealing with Parkinson's and a recent infection, he passed away

peacefully in his sleep. Martin will advise about the arrangements soon.

He also said Fred was not the sort of person who wanted people to mourn him

but to celebrate his life, as I said to martin he is problem negotiating

right now a bike deal somewhere or at least riding one. Keep him in your

thoughts, Cheers

From me:

In case any of you didn't know, Fred Belair was the father of El Trial de Espana, certainly the most publicized trial in the United States. Certainly, he was a pivotal figure in the development of the sport in the United States, along with being a very nice gentleman.

God Blessed Fred Belair! This was a fine man who gave a great deal to the sport and added great joy to many of our lives. Our prayers are with his family.

I can't think of anyone in the USA who did more to nudge the youngsters in our country to aspire to beat the Europeans at trials. Fred's dream for the El Trial De Espana was to bring young Americans to Spain, see the factories and ride with the best in the world. Then someday beat them, which they did!

It was Fred who took not only his sons but many young riders to Spain who later scored many world championship points. Then finally one of his adopted trials kids named Bernie Schrieber became the World Trials Champion.

Thank you Fred for all the loving and wonderful times we all shared together. Godspeed!

The word is that Fred would not anyone to mourn. Rather be happy etc.

A tremendous loss to the trials community and his family but I'm sure he will be happy to be remembered in a joyous way.

All the best to Martin and family during this time of adjustment.

Johnny

From Mr. Bill:

Funeral is at 10:00 AM Friday Oct 6th, Saint Christopher's Church, 629 South Glendora, West Covina, CA 91790

I talked to the Belair family this morning and they said that Fred said not to send flowers, he preferred that you sand money to meals on wheel's or something in that order. He was sure proud to receive the NATC hall of fame award, he said that if it had not been for a lot of other people working hard he would have not received it. He thanks all that work so hard in the sport of trials.

Mr Bill

From Bill Brokaw:

Fred has been a special friend of mine since he brought Martin and Mark Eggar to the 1971 Ute Cup trial. In 1972 Fred took a group of us to Spain to ride the European championship trials in France and Spain. The trip of a lifetime for me. Fred's leadership was something to behold. He was a remarkable combination of a kindly father and a tough first sargent. We developed a friendship that was strong despite the rarity of our shared time. I will miss our phone calls, his humor, and the love that flowed between us. I hope you knew him well enough to appreciate the strength of his character and what he brought to the sport he loved, although not as a competitor.

Fred was brought into the North American Trials Council's Hall of Fame last year and his pride and greatfulness for that was quite evident. I am certainly glad that it was in time for him to know.

Bill Brokaw

Martin, please take care and we are all thinking of you. Brian