Question For John Collins Can Or Should The Acu Help Re The Observer Problem?

old trials fanatic

For our Brit Champ round a few years ago - when we feared an Observer shortage - my son actually spoke to a guy where he works who was involved with some sort of scout group. I think they were the senior scouts. The chap was quite interested in getting them involved - not only for the prospect of a donation to their funds -( they probably struggle more than we do) - but also because they were constantly looking for something of interest to do - and it could have been turned into a good excercise - I suppose logistics/planning/transport - possible camping etc.

The idea was for them to turn up - and work with an established Observer at one or two of our Centre Trials - and then be ready for Brit Champ.

When our Club found we could actually man the sections ourselves ( just) - and also then not have to spend any money ( Club finance arguments often make ACU ones look a doddle! ) they decided not to go down this road - to the dissapointment of the guy concerned.

I think it was an opportunity missed. In the ACU handbook - in NSC where it talks of min age for Marshall etc - I think a special allowance has been made for such bodies as scouts etc - on basis the are with organised/responsible body.

If others have chance to go down this route I think it is a good idea.

I appreciate the idea OTF that some training etc and then issue of a card may be a good idea. I do not think there would be any great problem in doing it - HOWEVER - it has been experince in the past that making people take out cards/licences - while perfectly acceptable to some - it annoys others - so it is a tricky path to tread.

It would also be a disater if Clubs were not allowed to gather people in the ad hoc manner they now do - perhaps not desirable - but the only solution many have - and I am sure they would not wish to loose it - neither would the odd observer - often wife/girlfriend/mother pressed into action wish to in any way feel inferior.

I think there is no harm looking at a way of offering more recognition - and I also feel that there may be some who would be willing to Observe - but are not that confident they know method - and would not wish to make decisions etc - ( I know that is my wifes view) and OTF idea's would certainly help this.

It needs us all to give this one a little more thought. It is not the standard of Observing that needs the emphasis ( although obviously important) - but the actual method of getting enough Observers to run the event. Certainly worth thinking about a register - as long as we are sure it would discourage the casual observer who we are glad of - even if only once or twice a year.

My old man was a permanent fixture observing from the 70's onwards. Flat cap, barber jacket, flask, big fishing umbrella - all weather observer - (until the brolly got up to 700 feet above Penn Hill one time).

But it's not the lack of a brolly that puts him off now - it's the rules. For a no nonsense old bugger, the stop and you get a dab rule would be fine if it were that simple - modern riding involves regular momentary stops and the rules don't fit. He won't observe because of the ambiguity of a stop. You could tell if a B40 stopped, you weren't likely to see him hop the back wheel sideways, so no doubt there, and you were unlikely to find a section which required him to do more than turn on full lock to get round a turn.

I don't want to turn it in to another rule debate, but he's not the only one put off by it.

let me first of say the problem is worse for MX with marshal

the orgional idea is valid, it does work in road race, and the eastern centre have made it work for MX (though no one else has!).....

as to what the answer is, i really don't know

does the buck rest with the ACU, id severly doubt that it does