Sherco Pulling 4th Gear?

moulder

I ride a gas gas 280 and I am looking into buying a sherco as they dont seem to be made of tin cans. I love my gasser to bits but riding nationals and falling off lots means I need somthing a bit more reliable. I fancy an 07 290 sherco as my mates 05 has never let him down (apart from the stator) and he hardly ever touches his bike.

However whenever we go practicing in Wales my mates Sherco can never pull 4th up hills in sections that my gasser flys up. Lots of people have told me that their Shercos dont pull 4th also, so I was wondering if the 07 or 06 is any different?

I know that the 5 speed box means that 4th is needed for moors crossings etc, but any advice or opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

I'm on standard gearing.

I've tried 4th once, in mud, and unfortunately it gripped like hell and choked.

I only tried 4th because others had failed in 3rd (Gassers and Shercos). Other than that I've never felt the need for 4th. I've often thought about gearing it up a bit too. 1st is pretty low, I usually use 2nd. So with a little higher gearing, I think 3rd would be ample.

Be good to hear what others think of the Sherco gearing though.

I have an 04 290,soon as i got it i noticed the gearing was totaly different to my old gasser and most other bikes i`ve ridden for that matter.There is to0 big a difference from 3rd to 4th in my opinion,but i suppoze it depends what kind of riding you do.I only really n otice when blasting out of steep ravine for instance,i can screw the ar** off it in 3rd,change up and the bike only just makes it out wheras me old gasser would just keep going.

It can get a bit annoying,but its just a case of adjusting your riding style.I would say if you are thinking of getting one,i would borrow your mates sherco for a day because its definatlly something you need to consider.

Steve

As in the similar thread, it all depends upon what you are doing, as there is a large jump between the "trial" gears and the "trail" gears 4 and 5. but I will tell you that the 44 tooth rear off the 125 makes 4th much more usable and narrows the gap but somewhat limits top speeds on 5th.

You may also find that riding average sections in 2nd is better, using 1st for only slow tight sections which gives you an option on the other end ov the spectrum!

:chairfall:

Hi, I run a 11 tooth front - the reason being i found 1st too low, if you had a bit of nadgery stuff then a climb out say - would run out of steam and i prefer not to change up if poss,so geared it up and got a bit more legs without losing out on the slow stuff.Sprockets only about a tenner so experiment away

hi there , well i have always had a sherco ,02 could not pull 4th then a 04 with a 43 rear sprocket just rips with a little clutch and now i have a cabastany rep with a 43 , wont pull 4th unless loads of clutch but 3rd is just an absalute ripper ... but there again i dont realy use anythink other than first even on big steps from a standing start :D tryed 2nd and got left behind :D big steep hill climbs pinned in 3rd if its that steep the revs drop and with the tawque (how ever its spelt) will drive you up hopefully :angry:

I know this has probably been asked before but........,

What is required to fit a keihin carb?

When I sell the gasser I will keep my keihin so once run in I will want to put it on my next new bike (gas gas or sherco).

I know the jets will have to be changed but what about physically fitting it into the airbox and inlet manifold?

Will the original throttle cable be ok?

After seeing me mates brand new sherco in his garage I really want one as its mint!!!!!! However Il have a play on it over the weekend.

Cheers

Tony