Chewing Spark Plugs !

ss74

I have heard many reports that 4rt's like a reasonable diet of spark plugs every 15 - 20 hrs ! I have never heard of such a phenomina ! Who should be ashamed Honda or NGK , or is there a different brand ie nippon denso or an iridium style plug that you set and forget like a BSA bantam or a 06' trials bike of any other brand . Love the bike but baffled with the plug eating thingy !!!!!!

I have had a few plugs die of the last couple of years and they cannot be resurected by cleaning. Just about every time has been after starting when I have not warmed the motor thouroughly and given it a big squirt over a step or similar.

occasionally a full bore blast down a track will clear it, but sometimes it just fluffs and bangs and will not clear.

Never had a plug fail when warm or during a trial.

I went through a few plugs initially, but since then I always let the bike sit and idle from start for at least one minute. Let it idle, don't blip or rev it when stone cold. My last plug lasted about 10 months.

I live in Brisbane Australia, so those of you living in colder climates should extend this warm up time.

Jim

I had read about the plugs fouling on this site before i got my 4rt

so bought a couple of spare plugs

that was about eight months ago and they are still in the packets they came in

no problems with plugs or starting at all

VIVA MONTESA

Thanks for all the replies.I have had no problem with my own repsol which is about 15 hrs old, but a freind who has the same bike of similar usage has just replaced a plug but other trials enthusiast at the scene ensured it was going to be a lrge part of our future ! Great to hear that with the odd bit of caution it is all bu.....it ! we are also in Australia , the land of trials riding convicts! Convinced the prison gaurd its a great way to break rocks ! So far so good ! :thumbup: