Shifting Problems

leedo55

hi

my mates just bought an 02 gas gas and everytime he changes from 3rd up into 4th there is an awful clunk

and it takes about 4 or 5 presses down to get it from 4th back into 3rd.

could someone tell me whats wrong with it and how to fix it.

thanks

I wld not bother about the clunk. A clunk is better than teethgrinding sounds :thumbup:

The bad shifting is more to worry about, although the gasgas needs a deliberate kick.

Probably a bend shifterclaw, as these are made of aluminium. They are easy to bend slightly, asspecially when shifting under load. When you get away with it, 4 kicks, on downshifts, maybe leave it, as from 4 to 3 is not needed often.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but under the clutch there is a shifter return spring. The little peg that holds the spring in place is held with an allen bolt and the peg is eccentric so you can adjust its position a bit. Is it hard to get in neutral too ? Maybe try and turn it so the spring is a bit more downward seeing as its hard shifting down. This should make the downshift a bit more positive.

Clunk is typical in the upper gears, big ratio gaps. I shift into them at a lower rpm and its much less of a clunk.