B40 Electronic Ignition

old trials fanatic

Hi

I am, amongst other things, in the process of rebuilding / modifying a BSA B40 ex WD for trials. I've ordered an Otter frame and when that arrives i will start putting things together. My engine is a 67 with points on the side cover but i was thinking of scrapping the current ignition, zener diode rectifier capacitor etc, and substituting a modern electronic set up. I've been looking at the one made by Rex Caunt do any of you have any experience of this ?? or is there a better alternative??

Finally ANY suggestions of useful mods that you guys have found worth incorporateing into the bike would be most appreciated. :)

thanks Vinnie. Yes the Rex Caunt system was the one i had been looking at. How do you find it? Is it easy to fit and set up? Has it been reliable? Do you think its worth the money? Does your cub, and hopefully my B40, run better with it fitted?

I dont think i will be venturing up the Scotland and as i have Bultaco forks fitted at the moment, and will be transfering them to the Otter frame when it arrives, the purists definately wont like it.

The thing is i remember riding in the late 60's and 70's and 80's come to that and loads of Cubs C15s and B40's and Triumph twins were modified to hell with whatever the rider could lay their hands on. My own centre East Midlands leaves it up to the Club organising the trial to classify the bike and it looks like i will have to ride in the "specials" class anyway so i thought what the hell lets just make the bike as pleasureable as possible to ride. At least my bike will be honest. No hiden Yamaha internals in BSA outers, Mikuni carb, 5 speed boxes, lightweight cranks and titanium this and that. Just an honest late 60's early 70's old BSA. OK with electronic ignition which if it was available then would have been fitted to everything.

Just wondering what the experience of the membership was before shelling out my hard earned. Thanks again for the input. :)

No hiden Yamaha internals in BSA outers, Mikuni carb, 5 speed boxes, lightweight cranks and titanium this and that.

It is amazing what they can get away with.

The ignition is very reliable starts 2nd kick everytime only problem is carb had an Mk1 Concentric on her now changing over to Monoblock

Try this website found it the other day http://trialsbsa.homestead.com/Home.html

Vinnie