Sherco 250 Problems

steveplum

Hey there to everyone! I was just wondering if anybody with a bit of experience could help me. I have a 2004 sherco 250 and it just wont start. I've been told that they have stator arm promblems but as I have a spark when turning th engine over it surely cant be that. I was thinking more along the lines of the coil breaking up which I believe is a complete CDI unit replacement. I remember just before it started messing around it kept gaining power then loosing it continueously as if it was running out of fuel. Also I remember I had the choke on for quite along time (my fault) whist running it till the bike started over revving could this have caused a problem? Please could anyone shed some light on the subject? Oh by the way I have changed the plug, cleaned the carb and airbox/filter

Cheers!

Steve

i have just fixed a friends 290 with similar symtoms, engine cutting out after going over an obsticle, felt like it was going to run out of fuel on long uphill inclines. we chased the problems conviced it was electrical, we finally traced it to the smallest ammount of contamination in the fuel causing the needle valve to stick. we cleaned the carb 3 times before finding the problem, fitted an in line fuel filter, and swapped filling stations, the bike now runs fine, i would check the carb again just in case, its a lot cheaper than buying a full ignition system . hope this helps. paul.

Cheers for the response, I've tried running the bike on reserve as I know fuel passes through the tap. Also I run two other bikes on the same fuel and they work fine this is why I thought it couldnt be a fuel shortage or a problem with the carb as ive cleaned this out and i can see it working fine when I remove the airbox. Anybody got any other suggestions? any help would be much appreciated!