Bsa B40

gaff

Could anybody tell me what to look out for on a 1964 BSA B40T.

The sprocket is welded to the hub, at first i thought this was a bodge, since found out that they were originally made this way, is this true ?

Would another hub (that takes a bolted sprocket) fit ? Ifso, which ?

Gaff.

Sorry mate if the sprocket is welded to the hub you were right it is a bodge and a pretty naff one at that. I've never come across a hub with a non replaceable sprocket. Seeing as even on road a sprocket would only last about 5-10,000 mls even on an old B40 then you would have to replace the hub and rebuild the entire back wheel ERRR No. Best bet is to get the wheel rebuilt using a bantam hub as they are slightly wider than the tiger cub and both are consciderably lighter than the standard B40 unit. For suggestions look in Don Morley's book "Classic British Trials Bikes". I know its a bit old now but its still the bible for pre 65 4 strokes. Alternatively http://trialsbsa.homestead.com/Home.html is a good site with plenty of info on pre 65 trials and B40 bikes with some good photos.

Hope this is of some help. :)

Edited by Old trials fanatic

OTF, thanks for the info and link. A couple of peaple have suggested the Bantam Hub, and also a C25's, (which they -Sammy Millers- just happen to have in stock). I found this bike by accident, while looking around for a twin-shock 4-stroker (namely a Honda TLR200). But i think i should go one better and get a Pre-65 thats British.

Gaff.

Give my regards to Ilson, used to go drinking there when i lived in Nottingham a few years ago.

I've never come across a hub with a non replaceable sprocket.

Apparently Brit bike did come with the sprocket integral to the hub, I was told this by a trials riding Brit bike fan, I was suprised too. Common practice was to machine off the old sprocket and modify the hub to accomodate a replaceable spocket.

• 4 weeks later...