Majesty Mag Alloy

majman

i recently welded the magnesium clutch cover on my SWM, and this was done by Lars Jones in Hereford. He had a bit of a battle with it and I still have a small oil leak, possibly because the weld is still porous ? Not sure. Its worth getting it done right..

I need a bit of welding on a magnesium alloy flywheel cover doing. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

You may struggle with the cover due to the magnesium content or type of mag alloy used but I'm no expert. A mate of mine is however. He's a top notch welder (coded) and fabricator and has done some incredible repairs for me over the years, but when he tried to repair the clutch cover on my Majesty it just wouldn't weld. He's done some 175 cases but couldn't do the 250. In view of his ability I've assumed if he can't do it, it can't be done. The Mag cover may well be made of the same stuff, hence my opening comment.

I'm assuming that your Majesty is an early one with the standard TY mag cover as you've mentioned the magnesium. On later Majesties shirty had an aluminium cast replacement with Majesty cast into it, the final ones had 250/320 Majesty cast into them. These shirty covers have no magnesium so should repair easily.

If you'd like a newly cast later type cover as a replacement for yours, PM me and I'll give you the contact details of where you can get one as some have been recast from an original. See photo.

No commercial interest for me and nothing to do with me other than mine was used as a pattern.

It won't let me post the bloody photo so if you want to see one I can email it to you