Is This A 301 Or 305 Piston?

lee harris

The 305 piston had 3 holes in triangular layout with bottom 1/3 of piston cut away in arch shape. Newer models were also faced off at the side with a shorter gudgeon/wrist pin, making some 305's a lot noisier than others

The one in the photo doesnt look relieved at sides or on the back face - hard to tell.

Your milling machine should make short work of the profile, but have you also considered the inside width between the two piston journals dependending on your small end bearing length.

115 euoros doesnt seem a bargain?

Good luck but dont let evil bay bite you just cos you got a deal on that snazzy Caballero! :wacko:

post-1226-1164300100.jpgHello Lee, Looked at this piston myself, and dismissed it. It looks like a single ring (Dykes ring) piston. The biggest piston using this design on a Fantic is a 240, but on a 240 the distance from the wristpin to the cut out is nearly the width of the wristpin, whereas on the piston shown the cutout seems to be directly underneath the wristpin....so i don't know....i see the guys taken a picture including the Italian book...to try to identify the piston. I personally don't think its a Fantic piston....over to the experts !!!! ps picture of 305 piston, funny... i always thought the 305 was noisey because the piston had no integeral strength because off the centre cutout, leaving the two tags either side of the cutout unsupported, on noisey 305's the piston, when measured by the tags, always comes out lots undersize. Edited by ask greeves

@ peter b...def has 2 rings. Chris thinks the piston is a 240. that bore leads me to 249.......

@fanticisti a 306 piston I can get for 130 yoyos- A 303/301 is rarer than weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and cost closer to 200 yurozzs.

240 pistons are like rocking horse poo and are unobtainiam!!

PS What happened to fracys post on the 300 front brake?

6 beers down in central yurup

Edited by Lee Harris