Ty80 Clutch Frozen, Any Tips?

rev. victor

I bought a TY80 for nephew. I got it running like a top but still have one problem, the clutch is frozen. I know it's not uncommon for a bike that been sitting to have the clutch plates freeze up. I tried riding it in first and second gear with the clutch pulled and then I would stand on the rear brake. It didn't work. After about 10 attempts I figured I see if anyone has a tip for freeing the clutch without pulling the case cover. If I do pulling the engine cover I assume the oil pump has to be removed to fully pull the case cover. How hard is it to pull the oil pump and are there any pitfalls to avoid? Thanks for the input.

If you have to remove the cover then the Haynes Manual says the following on ty80 models the swinging arm pivot bolt retaining nut must be removed and the footrest mounting bolt slackened so that the footrest can be pivoted backwards clear of the cover.Note that the oil pump and drive can remain in place on the cover.Remove the screws.Pull off the cover.Fix the clutch.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards Andy.

Start the engine and let it warm up, holding the clutch lever in continously. After the bike is warmed up, go to an area that you can ride it. Still holding the clutch in get it rolling and put it in gear and work your way up through the gears. Using full throttle, get the engine to where it is pulling strong and apply the rear brake. Alternate revving out and firm application of the rear brake to load the clutch. This works best in the upper gears. :thumbup:

Watch out for stationary objects.

Edited by paul_thistle

Thanks fellas, worked like a charm. I actually adjusted the clutch screw all the way in and went for a ride. It took about 5 minutes of 3rd and 4th gear ripping around the block for the clutch to free itself. Once adjusted back to spec the clutch worked perfect. Thanks again. Much more fun the tearing the clutch apart. At 6'8" I gave the neighbors a chuckle.