Sherco 290 Clutch

big-ian

hi there i`m new to to the trials world and just wondered if upon starting my sherco was it normal for the clutch to be engaged with the lever back to the bar? if so why? i rode motox bikes for 3 years and never had this problem once.

No idea why but mine does it and always has, change of oil will improve it some as will letting it warm up for a couple of mintes. If you search aound the site you may find some reccomendations for oil which improve/solve it. Personally I stick ATF in and remember to let it warm up, stick it first on a slippery surface & then dab the rear brake (having launched it into a bush once I tend to remember now !)

Big Ian,

I think most first time Sherco owners think they have a clutch problem ( for about 30 seconds)but this is just a characteristic of the breed. :thumbup:

I have had a few Shercos over the years and they all exhibited this trait for sticking clutches at start up, but after a few seconds warm-up performed faultlessly.

I have always used ATF and I think it's just the surface tension of the oil trapped in the plates that causes drag at start up.

I was once paranoid enough to strip the plates and lightly emery the surfaces to roughen up the contact area...no difference..so as they say..''If it's not broken don't fix it''.

It could be worse, you could have a Montesa with permanent clutch drag!