Arena-indoor Trials Dangerous

ask greeves

I've just been looking at a clip of an indoor trial from Italy, the minder/catcher was raised on a forklift truck, to his position, looked at least 15ft from the ground. This got me thinking 'well that's a bit dangerous'. Arena Trials have lots of sharp edges and hard floors, wasn't there a Japanese rider who broke both wrists a couple of years ago. The sections seem to get more and more dangerous as the years progress, is it that the promoters have to forfill the publics need for more and more excitement. What worries me, is our up and coming stars, i'd hate to see them, risking themselves for the sake of entertainment and possibly risking the real goal of world champion. There's probably lots of factors, a good payday, pressures from sponsors and manufactures etc, but remember a damaged trials rider can't win the real goal, that's the world outdoor championship.

Edited by ask greeves

To be the best takes that extra something, call it bottle. The British Isles have got several riders who've definitley got that extra something, to be a World Champion. I just wouldn't want any of them to throw it all away, young men feel indestructable and can get carried away with the thrill of the moment. I saw Steve Colley sucessfully jump off a double decker bus in the IOM, a while later he broke his leg performing on Douglas Seafront. Let's hope there's some sensible mentors and fathers looking after the longterm interests of our young rising stars.

Edited by ask greeves

I've just been looking at a clip of an indoor trial from Italy, the minder/catcher was raised on a forklift truck, to his position, looked at least 15ft from the ground. This got me thinking 'well that's a bit dangerous'. Arena Trials have lots of sharp edges and hard floors, wasn't there a Japanese rider who broke both wrists a couple of years ago. The sections seem to get more and more dangerous as the years progress, is it that the promoters have to forfill the publics need for more and more excitement. What worries me, is our up and coming stars, i'd hate to see them, risking themselves for the sake of entertainment and possibly risking the real goal of world champion. There's probably lots of factors, a good payday, pressures from sponsors and manufactures etc, but remember a damaged trials rider can't win the real goal, that's the world outdoor championship.

Yeah i was there, was kenichi kuroyama at Sheffield, came off the top of a large cotton reels section and did both his wrists in, wonder how he wiped his ass after that accident :thumbup: