04 Gasgas

bigfoot

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now now sparky no need to get tetchy !!!! Its amazing what different stories different people hear in one area. Ive had a few people say to me (pro owners) that when they are running right they are a good bikes but it gets to the point where they dont want to ride them cos they know something will go wrong, or is it bad maintenance ? I dont go slagging other bikes either, most of them are pretty good i'd say, unfortunatly plenty of people in our area seem happy to slag Scorpa's off, i wonder why ? Man Wren doesnt need to go giving back handers out to promote Scorpa's, the bike speaks for its self !!! ;)

Bigfoot, might I suggest that you give a few bikes a ride and see what you like. In the NW USA I have seen so many GG Pros have so many problems that I cant keep count. Recently one the lads with a 2003 270 GG Pro toasted the whole lower end, this after he has already replace the upper. Apparently the return spring for the kicker broke/failed and went into the gear cluster which caused cases to split, etc. This is a guy who rides maybe twice monthly so we know it is not overuse. Seems that with all the effort to make the Pro the lightest trials bike ever, some of the metal that is needed to hold it together was removed in the process.

I firmly believe it is the rider and not the bike, you can look to Dougie and see that is true, riding an outdated bike and cleaning house.

I have rode the Pro and it is a nice ride but I also dont want to be wrenching all of the time so I personally would not buy one until they can have a year or two of production with minimal problems. No fun to go to the trial and watch from the sidelines. Good luck in your decision.

i have a 2002 250 pro and apart from the air filter requiring more attention than a new born baby it has ran trouble free. the footrest finish on the beta's put me off and the weight. but if thats all it takes to put someone off a product i think it shows there all pretty much of a muchness. test ride everything before you part with your hard earned cash and buy what suits you.the 2004 gassers have a different seat and air box inner shield they hardly let any gunge in.

HI, i have had a few pro bikes,the early o2 bikes were good if well fettled,no problems with the 03 and i have just had an 04 250 which is superb!.the best bet to get a good pro bike is to find a dealer who will P.D.I it properley!.as i live in the uk i go to my nearest gas gas dealer and ask him to include in the price when i am purchasing it a full p.d.i.i think because i have the pdi done properly i have little problems.none of the present bikes,be it beta,scorpa,sherco,montesa are any good unless a decent dealer has done the pdi properly.if you want a cheap bike you get cheap service,i am not going to tell you who a deal with in the uk as this would not be fair, but the guy who does the pdi is one of the people gas gas uk supply to mechanic at the ssdt.cheers al!

Thanks everyone, I think!

This has helped a little but only a little. I know if I ride the GG04 I'll like it but is it the best bike for me? The beta appears well built and my old Techno never missed a beat. As I said I ride a 2001 TXT 280 just now and like it too.

It may come down to what's the best deal I can get when the time comes.

HI, i have had a few pro bikes,the early o2 bikes were good if well fettled,no problems with the 03 and i have just had an 04 250 which is superb!.the best bet to get a good pro bike is to find a dealer who will P.D.I it properley!.as i live in the uk i go to my nearest gas gas dealer and ask him to include in the price when i am purchasing it a full p.d.i.i think because i have the pdi done properly i have little problems.none of the present bikes,be it beta,scorpa,sherco,montesa are any good unless a decent dealer has done the pdi properly.if you want a cheap bike you get cheap service,i am not going to tell you who a deal with in the uk as this would not be fair, but the guy who does the pdi is one of the people gas gas uk supply to mechanic at the ssdt.cheers al!

I'll echo this point, if you go the right dealer they will support you when things go wrong. No matter which brand of bike you buy if the dealer who sold you it can't or won't fix it when things go wrong, stop using them!

Edited by PERCE

Bigfoot, i've no brand loyalty but i counted at least 5 new betas at yesterday's trial, and everyone i spoke to only had good things to say about it . Apparently they are really grippy. but also really low geared in first (different sprocket??)I also spoke to a guy with a GG and he had already had trouble with the pipe, the replacement he was sent didn't fit either. Personally i would try them both cos everyone is different, it just depends what works for you!!

what kind of trials are you going to be doing if its more rocks and burns

youd be beter with the beta it has a stronger frame and is reliable

thats what its like down in lochaber but its up to urself

but i would personaly go for the beta

I had a 2002 280 pro, bought from new and kept it 18 months. I had no end of trouble between the 6 and 9 month period (partly due to a very wet trial part filling the airbox, then a faulty fan unit spinning at half speed), then nothing for 10 months, then gearbox trouble.

I loved to ride the bike, but I wouldn't buy another one until it actually seems like GasGas want to fix the obvious flaw. The airbox with a hole for the water to leak out isn't good enough for the UK weather as far as I'm concerned.

I considered myself a GasGas man, but bought a new Sherco 290 last week, so we'll see how we go. Performed well this weekend in pretty bad rain, and the airbox is bone dry.

These are the things that put me off the 2002 GasGas. Other people here will know if they're sorted on the 04's. I fancied a change:

Airbox design

Silencer design - rub through (now dented to stop rubbing)

Mid silencer - poor quality (now sorted)

Poor clutch - I had 3 in 18 months

Very expensive plastics (seat unit, rear mudguard and decals around

• 3 weeks later...

The 04s are very nice. There are several improvements to them that until you really look it over and ride cannot appreciate.

For instance the 40mm Marzocchi forks, 25mm axle and the works billet triple clamps rival the scorpa quality, the new air box design is so much better, the bottom drain flap is much more thought out than the drain tube, and the placement of the rear brake resivior with clip to the rear cylinder stay makes it so easy to remove the air box seat unit, and that just fits better than before. the design is just the way it should have been from the start.

The new aluminum kickstart is a major improvement and allows more leverage into the stroke, and the aluminum mid silencer gives a nicer, mellower exhaust note. This combined with the cylinder head change and a return to the Dellorto PHBL carb gives a very smooth power delivery. Gone is the pop-pop rough power down low, now it is a smooth delivery the TXT Edition was known for.

The 300 is just so smooth now, the 280 too but the 300 is very effortless to ride and if you use the black slow turn throttle tube both motors are very controllable, the 280 comes on easy then picks up to rev high while the 300 comes on stronger right off then flattens out a bit.

Two important things, as discussed the #60 Dellorto starter jet has to be drilled out ( #58 wire gauge bit , .0420"/1.07mm) makes for two to three kick cold starts instead of eleven to fifteen in freezing temps (the Pro seems more sensitive to this), and the rear shock spring should be loosened about two turns if you weigh around 170 lbs., for best traction and ride height.

The new lever added to the kickstand spring makes for a "slam" into the swingarm when leaning the bike off the stand, like the Montesa, but the reason for the extra tension was apparently to keep the stand from snapping back onto the swingarm every time hitting something hard when riding, but it just doesn't work. Best to still just remove it.

Use GM AutoTrak II transfer case lube in the clutch.

Nice bikes!!

I've just got back into Trails after an 8 odd year layoff, I recal GG having problems just before I packed in then!! and it looks like there still having problems now!!.

Saying that I've just had to replace the mains on my 01 Sherco...swings and roundabouts I guess.

I must admit, I wouldn't go near any GG because they just seem to have constant faults, ok some are good, but i think there seem to be more bad ones than good un's.

Why don't they sort it? this affects the reputation and resale value of the bikes.

Mark

Mark, you just can't even begin to compare any of the machines from 8 years ago with the current crop, it's like comparing an 04 F-150 with a 96.

Sure GasGas had teething problems with the Pro, the motor and airbox/ seat assembly were and are very unique designs, but they've worked very hard perfecting the bike and I just suggest you take a hard look at one with an open mind.

I also forgot to mention one very nice, important change that is never mentioned on the 04s, that is the new plastic rad protectors, much more thought out and tougher plastic.

Edited by MattL

it's like comparing an 04 F-150 with a 96.

Be careful with that comparison. I have a 96 F-150 6 cylinder stick with over 150k miles and it has been a great truck. My son purchased an 04 F-150 and has already had the transmission, a faulty ecm and the CD player replaced. He is already talking about looking at the Nissan Titan.