04 Gasgas

bigfoot

Just to confirm what other people have said I guess.

I had an '02 TXT250 Pro and had numerous problems with the clutch - bloody pain in the ass! Other little niggly problems like plastic that easily broke - then the gearbox started occasionally jamming in gear (2nd) and then I decided to trade it in for an '04. The build quality of the '04 model seems instantly much better. There are small little improvements all round the bike, but generally the difference between the '02 & '04 is evolution not revolution - combined with the better build quality it's a pretty good bike now.

That I bought an '04 after having these problems with the '02 is simply because, practically, I had no choice (only dealer within 2 hour drive, only homolgated bike off the shelf and, the clincher, a damn good trade in deal :-)

Maybe I would at that time have looked (probably beta) elsewhere *if" I'd had the choice but now I'm pretty happy!

Kevin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't they sort it? this affects the reputation and resale value of the bikes.

The funny thing about all the slagging that goes on about the GasGas bikes is that 90% of the time it's by non-GasGas owners :o Besides, EVERY brand out there has had their share of "issues".

Seems like events like the 2003 SSDT show that they not only had the highest entry, but the best finishing rate too...does that mean anything? Probably not much more than the idle slaggings, as it largely comes down to maintenance practises and luck.

If you want to believe the gossip, all the power to you. I choose to be open minded and go with what I actually know from experience. Seems the GasGas is the brand that people "love to hate". No problem for me being a Honda rider from WAY back :D

I think on the whole most of the views were fairly well balanced. I gave my criticisms, some of which have been sorted. I just tried to play safe and went to Sherco (for now).

There's no denying that some (enough to be worrying) of the 2002's were dogs and unfortunately sh*t sticks. My 2002 was a dream to ride, but it cost me dearly developing most of the faults that I had been warned about eventually.

They do seem to be riding the storm so to speak and I will look at a Gasser again next time I need to change. The most popular brand of anything are prone to abuse - it's just the way of the world.

It really does help being a dealer for the brands, and would say that you can take every single bike, put them in a line in front of me and can name every single thing that I love about each bike and every single thing that just drives me crazy about each bike. Then there's the importers of each brand :o .

Joe, you may say that GasGas is the brand people love to hate, but I've noticed way back from that other site, since Lampkin switced from Beta Montesa is the brand that gets the most negative comments, just in an attack form anyway. Of course that has to do with some people seeming to always wanting to rub in the recent results, but was also the case when Frexia switched over and again when Laia Sainz just did! Guess that's because people assume it's because of Honda's money when it's really the montesa racing dept. that shells out every single penny they have, every single year, and knowing that those fine people work their asses off touches on a nerve in me when someone mentions Honda!

But, if they join, those riders really know that they will be on a great team with a great bike. The Mont-HRC team is known as the best, and that's not meant to slight anyone.

But, to keep this on the GG subject the 04s are just plain great! There are so many things that make them so, some mentioned, some not. There is a new reed cage with no spacer now between the cylinder and carb inlet, so guess this also has to do with the added smooth delivery this year? The Pro was always a great expert bike but now it's become a very easy to ride bike for everyone, and the qualtiy of the components from the tiny AJP master cylinders, steel braided lines, to the Iris chain and work of art anodised suspension linkage, to all those dished out bolts......could go on and on!

Matt, your right about the "love to hate" thing. That's why I mentioned being a Honda rider :o Honda always gets accussed of "buying" championships and seems little is different when it comes to Montesa, as the other post makes clear.

I think what people fail to take notice of is what you eluded to...that it's little to do with the bike and EVERYTHING to do with the team. It's the team and rider than wins championships, not the bike. Dougie would be winning on whatever brand he was riding, with the same team and support presently afforded him.

HI, get back to subject please!!!.i rode scotland last year on my 250 gasser,never missed a beat all week.the parts i used were as follows,3 rear tyres,1 chain,2 air filters,1 rear set of pads,i also changed the gearbox oil twice.whlist we are on about scotland one thing i forgot to mention was the superb support provided free of charge by gas gas uk.al the spaner and kev were superb,two realy nice guys as well as superb mechanics.yes if i get a ride up scotland in 04 i will have a new 250 gasser,superb machine.

• 4 months later...

Ok guys and girls I know it's been a long time since I started this post but at last I've done it. I've ordered a GasGas 300 pro. It should be with me in the next week or so.

It's coming to me still in the box. Can anyone provide a PDI list for me to go over. I know all the usual stuff but am interested in any specifics for the 04 GG.

Congrats bigfoot! I still haven't gotten my '04 yet, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks. From past experience with Pros, these are the items I've personally found that should be done/checked at PDI.

- check all bolts...better to find a loose one before loosing it on a ride

- check and grease all linkage pivots, swingarm bearing, and steering head bearings, as well as wheel bearings.

- oil air filter...I don't know what they put on it from the factory, but doesn't seem very effective.

- check spoke tension frequently during first month or so, then tend to loosen as they seat

- also keep a close eye on sprocket and disk bolts

- tires will have about 30psi in them from the factory, so check them

- change gearbox oil after first ride and frequently from then on.

- Seal the ignition cover with good RTV

- grease all electrical connections with dielectric grease

- I always put clear vinyl (the clear number plate backings used by MXers) on all wear areas, particularly on the silencer. A layer on the inner side will protect from tire rub, on the outside from boot rubbing, and...rocks :D

All I can think of for now. Enjoy!

Thanks JTT

I've also read soemwhere else in this thread that it's worth putting on a mud flag, lower frame guard (whatever that is) and a bigger rubber boot on the upper frame (again I don't know what or where this is).

Having just recently traded my 2002 Beta 250 for a Gas Gas 280 Pro, I think I can offer some good objective comments.

First off, I found the Beta to be an excellent all-around bike. Good grip, well built, reliable with many trouble free hours. It turned well, had a solid clutch that could take a lot of abuse. It significantly improved my riding skills in the 2 years I owned it. They are very well supported here in the US. I was going to trade up to an 04 until I rode a Gas Gas 04 Pro.

My initial impressions of the Gasser were not as favourable as you might think for some who switched to a Gas Gas from a Beta. They are very different bikes that require a fair amount of time to adjust to. What I really liked about the Gas Gas was the power and the suspension. The "feel" was much different and took some time to adjust. I think the weight bias (front to rear) is lighter on the Gasser.

After several months on my Gas Gas, I can say without a doubt that my riding skill is higher than ever. The bike is superb. The Motor is very useable for novice and expert alike, the suspension is magical, turning is very tight. The 40mm forks make the front very stable. The build quality is up to par with the Beta. Some people might disagree but I have taken my bike completly apart, except for the motor. The Gasser is well thought out and easier to service than my Beta. The carb on the Rev's is a bitch to get at.

I bought the Gas Gas in part because of their popularity. Now I understand why they have such a big following. I believe the 04 Pro would help 9 out of 10 riders improve their riding level in short order. It's that good.......

No regrets here from an ex- Beta rider. :D

The carb on the Rev's is a bitch to get at.

2 Jubilee clips and the bugger is in your hands !!!

How the hell can that be a bitch? Either I'm p****d or you are on drugs :D

It's not getting the carb out that's a problem, it's putting it back in. The space that is available to work the carb is very limited. This makes reassembly a real squeeze act. If your hands are any bigger than a pigmy's, it's a bitch. Drugs are helpful to reduce the pain from bloody knuckles.

By comparison, the Gasser is a breeze, no squeeze act needed and drugs are not required.

I must agree that my Gasser Pro is easier to work on in general than my previous Beta although the Beta was a doddle (slang term in Derbyshire for easy!) However I must object to any reference to drugs in this column. When we are working on our bikes we only consume Boddingtons bitter which is full of vitamins and minerals and fibre, as a bowel movement is always guaranteed the next morning. Usually around 5 am which annoys the wife as I don't wake up until 6 am!!

Eiger.