Oset Electric Trials Bikes

axulsuv

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I stated above I got two, the 12.5" for my three year old son and the 16" for my 6 year old daughter. After a few hours just here in the yard these are my thoughts.

Great value...I bought two for about half the price of one Gas Gas.

Very light, the three year old can pick his up no problem.

Obviously being quit is great.

Many bicycle components, good or bad I don't know yet.

It has a speed adjustment to limit the speed. One good thing with the electric motor in that it just limits the speed and not the torque. It's not just a throttle limiter as a gas motor would have.

All three of my kids think it looks cool.

I haven't had time to teach the littlest one yet on the 12.5" , that will take some time.

Once the batteries where charged I let my oldest son who is 8 and is very experienced on his Beta 80 thrash his sisters 16". He thought it was a lot of fun to play on, but in his own words he "missed the hit in the power of a real bike". I had him ride his old Gas Gas 50 to compare. It was obvious that the suspension was also lacking as where the brakes. This was not really a fair test though as the bike isn't for him or his ability and he also weights 100 pounds.

Then it was my daughters turn. She has been riding a Yamaha TTR 50, but has been afraid to try the Gas Gas because of the size and weight. I turned down the speed for her and she got on and rode off just fine. The smooth electric power was great for her and the small size and weight made her fell comfortable. She has yet to stand up while riding and often rides with her feet out. That leads to my biggest complaint about the bike, the pegs fold up like regular pegs but there is no spring so they just stay up. She would often push the pegs up with her legs then when she was ready to put her feet on them they would be folded up :D It does seem pretty cheap to not have springs.

So far I like them, my daughter said she wants to practice more so she can ride in her first trial :angry:

That leads to my biggest complaint about the bike, the pegs fold up like regular pegs but there is no spring so they just stay up. She would often push the pegs up with her legs then when she was ready to put her feet on them they would be folded up :D It does seem pretty cheap to not have springs.

I don't think they were being cheap leaving the springs out as they wanted them to tuck up out of the way if needed. My lad has only just turned 5 and he's only been on the bike 3 or 4 times but he soon learned to kick the pegs back down whilst moving. It won't take her long to suss the job out properly :angry:

Kinell

- I remember OSET offered world wide shipping (air cargo) last year - as a special introductory offer - for approx 150 USD to the EU / UK?

Would be nice to take in to EU as goods for personal use - like you did - thus avoiding customs / HMCE - taxes and VAT (which is 25 procent here in Denmark compared to 17.5 in the UK)

There must be a TrialsCentral user that works in the shipping trade - let's fill a 20' container - I would like to sign up for the 16.0.....

Also, I suppose these bikes are made or assembled in China? - To keep costs down. sirhc did a small review in this post - what is your opinion on the quality?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Frost

Also, I suppose these bikes are made or assembled in China? - To keep costs down. sirhc did a small review in this post - what is your opinion on the quality?

Thanks in advance.

I'm very happy with the quality of the bike. Nice clean welds, good paintwork, solidly built and very smart plastics/graphics. They are quite heavy so I hope my little lad doesn't feel the weight of it on his leg any time in the future :D If anything, I would say that it is has "Tonka" build quality - I think it could be made lighter by easing off on the strength without making the bike any worse.

My favourite bits about the bike are: -

The brakes are great, small easy to pull levers for litle hands can stop the bike no problem.

Enough engine/motor braking to stop the bike from scooting off down hills like the rev 'n go bikes do!

LED lights on the throttle show the power left in the batteries.

Fully enclosed chain so no chance of pants, shoe laces, fingers getting trapped.

Speed potentiometer allows Mum or Dad to set the speed from 0 to Max.

Throttle works just like a real bike, no ON/OFF stop/start scares for the kid

The bike will only work with a Key in the ignition :angry:

Charger port built in so there is no need to remove the batteries for charging.

Chuck it in the back of the car without having to worry about petrol and oil leaking out.

Ride it in the park without annoying anyone with engine noise/fumes etc.

My lad loves it and I love the fact that he loves it :D

Get one ASAP...

I don't think they were being cheap leaving the springs out as they wanted them to tuck up out of the way

None of us would want to ride our bikes with pegs that hang up. I see no reason they shouldn't have springs.

The battery power level indicator on the throttle is very nice.

I thought they are pretty light, I wouldn't make them any lighter or big brother might break it.

P1270001_(2).JPG

Ya, built in China or they would cost three times as much. Quality seems fine except for the peg thing.

I got the little one on it today. He just kept saying "thanks for getting me this bike Dad" and that makes it worth it.

P1270006_(2).JPG

I don't think they were being cheap leaving the springs out as they wanted them to tuck up out of the way

None of us would want to ride our bikes with pegs that hang up. I see no reason they shouldn't have springs.

Fit some springs if it's such a big deal?

• 4 weeks later...

After a little over a month my kids are loving their Oset's. My three year old still rides with his legs out like wingspost-2409-1172288569.jpg my daughter ride hers a couple times a week and her brother big brother trashes it in the yard daily :hyper: The only thing that has broke is the chain cover when my oldest son tried to ride down a log length wise and slipped off. His sister was so made for breaking her bike that she hit him in the head with a stick.....good thing he was wearing a helmet :thumbup: It was pretty funny actually :thumbup:

Oh, and the pegs still bug me :D