Best Looking Trials Bike Ever?

scotty

WHAT?!!! Nobody mentioned the best of all? The lithe, svelte, sexy lines of the early to mid 70s Cotas

were never seen before and often copied after. And RED! Grrrraarr.

I'm not biased at all, either. MARs look pretty good too. Oh yeah, and all that really old stuff too.

th_after.jpg

Agreed. The Cota 247 and it's appearance in "On Any Sunday" defines what a trials bike looks like, in my mind. I am over 40 (pushing 50!) and find the old British iron very cool (because I am a 4-stroke fan), but no comparison to the early Cota.

Edited by DGShannon

You lot don't know that by answering this topic your giving away your age, your choice of bike denotes your era, which in turn denotes your age. If your 40+ then you'll most probably like the British bikes, but if you below 40 then its either twin-shocks or the early moderns. Me i like the TYZ, so hands up who's a grandad :D

OK smarty, here are the bikes I like........how old am I.

Modern

Beta are the best looking sculpted looking bikes I have ever seen. The old down tube style just doesn't do it for me any more.

2001 Beta (love the blue)

2006 Beta (love the black)

Twin Shock

1980 Model 199 Bultaco Sherpa T 350 (Black on blue look I find eye catching)

Kawasaki KT, Italjet & the OSSA Plonker in Green .....I have a thing for green bikes.

The older bikes like Greeves with the leading link front suspension, heavy I imagine, but I alsways thought that suspension system was so cool.

But I make no appologies, as it's not a trials bike, for mentioning the best looking bike ever... the Honda RC30.
:banana2:

This man has a little taste me thinks - perhaps I am biased here but I would NOT class it as THE best looking bike.

Works MV 3's and 4's of the 1960's, Rotary Norton race bikes and the Britten all come to mind as the best looking race bikes of recent years. Then you can delve further back into history and look at things like Manx Nortons, Velo Thruxtons and G50/7R AMC bikes. Broughs and Matchless V twins from the 30's, possibly even bronze head Rudge Ulsters and and and.....

Probably the RC30 is one of the the best looking Jap bike, or road bike from the 80's onwards.

Most modern bikes look the same, park up at the TT and all you see are line upon line of similar bikes, park an RC30 amongst them and you are guaranteed to meet some admirers when you go back to the bike.

Unless you are a bike fan it does not really draw a crowd, I get more interest when I park my Cyclemaster or Power Pak i when at home - something different to look at!

Cant see the beauty in the majority of modern trials bikes (including Bultaco / Ossa / Montesa et al from the 80's), all bland looking, unreliable Italian or Spanish electrics.

EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN VIEW AND IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION - LIFE WOULD BE BORING IF EVERYONE LIKED THE SAME THING.

But I make no appologies, as it's not a trials bike, for mentioning the best looking bike ever... the Honda RC30.
:banana2:

This man has a little taste me thinks - perhaps I am biased here but I would NOT class it as THE best looking bike.

Probably the RC30 is one of the the best looking Jap bike, or road bike from the 80's onwards.

Most modern bikes look the same, park up at the TT and all you see are line upon line of similar bikes, park an RC30 amongst them and you are guaranteed to meet some admirers when you go back to the bike.

Do you remember seeing your first RC30 in real life? I do, it was in a motorcycle shop and was

Edited by scorpa3

A trials bike in my mind is a Bultaco, preferably blue, or a Montesa cota red(Duh).

Sexiest bike of all time?? Hands down the Britten!! Wow in person it just begs to be looked at, inspires deep emotion. It is such a work of art, form and function. Easily the best of all time. I can't find a good picture to post. But I have a poster of it I bought at the Guggenheim.

You lot don't know that by answering this topic your giving away your age, your choice of bike denotes your era, which in turn denotes your age. If your 40+ then you'll most probably like the British bikes, but if you below 40 then its either twin-shocks or the early moderns. Me i like the TYZ, so hands up who's a grandad :banana2:

OK smarty, here are the bikes I like........how old am I.

Modern

Beta are the best looking sculpted looking bikes I have ever seen. The old down tube style just doesn't do it for me any more.

2001 Beta (love the blue)

2006 Beta (love the black)

Twin Shock

1980 Model 199 Bultaco Sherpa T 350 (Black on blue look I find eye catching)

Kawasaki KT, Italjet & the OSSA Plonker in Green .....I have a thing for green bikes.

The older bikes like Greeves with the leading link front suspension, heavy I imagine, but I alsways thought that suspension system was so cool.

40 - 45?

The most impressive sound I have ever heard was standing at Guthries listening to an RC30 on full chat heading towards Ramsey on the first lap of the F1 TT.

Yes it is a distinctive sound - sounds just as good nearly 20 years from its first appearance on the Island.

I am too young to remember the MV's racing or the Honda 6 (not I hasten to add CBX) but have heard these bikes on 'parades' at the island and they are impressive - makes the RC30 sound bland by comparison I'm afraid. Still I like the sound of my RC30!

Loudest of the lot was supposedly the 2stroke DKW which was so loud it could be heard on the mainland - long before days of silencing.

As a matter of interest who is the rider in your photo taken at ballaugh Bridge. I do not recognise the rider but have a suspicion who it is.

Rudge ulster..good call :banana2:

'bout 4 years ago I had an aprillia RSV-R colin edwards replica with twin akrapovic exhausts...goergeous piece of kit it was...... sadly long gone

I remember being impressed by the TLR's when i was a lad and for a road bike i would have willingly sold a kidney to have the old ZXR 750 in green/blue and white stripes on my drive....

these days i think the black framed gassers and the new beta's are smart looking bikes

MGP Senior 1996

The rider I am thinking of did ride in the MGP Senior in 96 - finishing 27th on a 750 Honda.

The style & build of the rider in the photo is similar to who I am thinking of.

I dont have a 1996 MGP programme to check his starting number.

Am I correct?

Edited by g4321