Sy 250 04

billboat10

Yep bizzarly ... put in the amount stated on the crank case. Open the small hole by the rear brake lever, then wait while half of what you put in slowly drains back out.

In other words; save your time, effort, oil and mess, and just fill it until the oil comes out of the hole in the first place. You will need around 400ml to do this.

Edited by scorpa3

I use 600 ml of synthetic transmission fluid.

I'm not being funny here, but have you ever managed to get 600ml in?

The first time I changed the oil on my '05 SY when it was a few hours old. I drained the gearbox and put 700ml in the top, then about 300ml came back out of the level hole.

Next time I changed the oil I measured what came out - sure enough it was only about 400!

Am I doing something wrong?

Not to thread jack but what do you use in your transmissions? I'm buying an 04 soon so I'm curious about trans fluid type. I use ATF dexron Mercon in my 02 Gasser pro and also my newly departed 97 Rotax engine Scorpa. It seems like ATF makes for a very happy clutch in most 2 strokes.

theres a volume of oil cast into the clutch cover, and thats how much oil you should put into the gearbox. im pretty sure its 700 cm cubed which converts to 700 ml.

the level bolt is only there as a check not a fill level, thats according to very well respected engine builder, Mr Terry Silvester (of silvesters yamaha, and his son Mark Silvester british twinshock mx champion!). he also told me that using the level bole and not filling the gear box properly results in burnt out clutches. too much oil makes the clutch slip.

personally id prefer too much oil than too little, if the clutch slips you can always drop some oil, where as if you seize your gear box youll have to do an engine rebuild.

theres a volume of oil cast into the clutch cover, and thats how much oil you should put into the gearbox. im pretty sure its 700 cm cubed which converts to 700 ml.

the level bolt is only there as a check not a fill level, thats according to very well respected engine builder, Mr Terry Silvester (of silvesters yamaha, and his son Mark Silvester british twinshock mx champion!). he also told me that using the level bole and not filling the gear box properly results in burnt out clutches. too much oil makes the clutch slip.

personally id prefer too much oil than too little, if the clutch slips you can always drop some oil, where as if you seize your gear box youll have to do an engine rebuild.

I can see where your coming from with this and perhaps you are right. But surely Yamaha wouldn't put a level hole in the gearbox then expect you to ignore it but not tell you to ignore it?

I am looking at my original owners manual and it states 600ml of SAE 10w30. It also says, "Fill with oil (600cm3) through [arrow to filler cap] and check oil level after operation."

Unfortunatley, this doesn't help us much with our dilema concerning the level hole. However, how else can we check the level like they say?

I can see where your coming from with this and perhaps you are right. But surely Yamaha wouldn't put a level hole in the gearbox then expect you to ignore it but not tell you to ignore it?

I am looking at my original owners manual and it states 600ml of SAE 10w30. It also says, "Fill with oil (600cm3) through [arrow to filler cap] and check oil level after operation."

Unfortunatley, this doesn't help us much with our dilema concerning the level hole. However, how else can we check the level like they say?

well unfortunatly were all in the dark here! i dont know why but every bike ive owned the level plug is always way too low for the amount of oil which is stated to be put in by the manual or the stamping on the casing.

the only time i check the level plug is if i thought i might have a leak from a gasket after a rebuild or such. id just take the level plug out (with the bike up right not on the kick stand) and if oil runs out i put the level plug back in and leave it as i know it must have enough oil.

i really dont know how they work out where the level plug whould go, or how much oil to put in the gear box, i know id go by the manual (or the number on the casing) and put that amount in the gear box, i guess its up to you just go by whichever your happiest with or ring your dealer and ask them for their take on the matter.

Yes, I think I will do this over the next few days, I bought the bike from BVM so I may be able to ask Steve Saunders.

Unfortunately I didn't drain the oil into a measuring jug the first time I drained it, so I have no idea how much is in there from the factory.

I just drained out everything, then put the specified amount in and opened the drain hole. That's when things got weird and about 1/3 of what I'd just put in came back out the level hole.

I've ridden the bike almost every weekend for the last two years, I've changed the oil probably 8 to 10 times and always used the level hole.

I just hope I'm not storing up a load of trouble by doing this!

I use 600 ml of synthetic transmission fluid.

I'm not being funny here, but have you ever managed to get 600ml in?

The first time I changed the oil on my '05 SY when it was a few hours old. I drained the gearbox and put 700ml in the top, then about 300ml came back out of the level hole.

Next time I changed the oil I measured what came out - sure enough it was only about 400!

Am I doing something wrong?

Not being funny. I used to use 400 ml of synthetic motor oil and the clutch was on and off like a light switch. Now that I use synthetic ATF the clutch actually works. I drain all of the ATF out using both the bottom and side plugs. 600 ml of ATF goes in easily.

Not being funny. I used to use 400 ml of synthetic motor oil and the clutch was on and off like a light switch. Now that I use synthetic ATF the clutch actually works. I drain all of the ATF out using both the bottom and side plugs. 600 ml of ATF goes in easily.

I presume actually get 600ml out then?

you wont get every drop of oil out of the gear box due to the internal shape of it. the best way to go about it is, drain it from both bolts like said above but lean the bike up to the left, let it drain for a while, then to the right and let it drain for a while and then stand it up vertical and let it drain for a while, repeat this a couple of time and then there will be as much oil out of the bike as possible.

as i got my bike second hand, the lower drain plug is coroded and lost its shape (the hex head that is) and its welded its self in, so for now i have to put up with trying to drain the oil through the side bolt by holding the front forks with the bike on its side! anyone got any bright ideas for getting it out? im just hoping and praying it hasnt been stipped and glued back in!

I presume actually get 600ml out then?

I run the bike until the fan turns on, then drain the oil out the bottom plug followed by laying the bike horizontally over a large oil drain pan to drain from the side plug. The ATF is thinner than oil and I am sure I get most of the ATFl out. Next time I change the oil I will measure how much I drain out.