Sherco 290 Wont Start When Hot?

hen barn

I need help! I have sherco 290 2004 and went out on first trial last weekend and my bike started fine after about 3 kicks with no throttle, then when i stopped it at each section it was about 10 kicks before it went again!

i then stopped for lunch and it wouldn't start at all until some guy helped me by turning the fuel off then kicked it few times then put fuel back on and gave it some choke and it started! he said he thought the mixture was not right but i cant remember if he said it was to rich or to dry? and which way i should turn the screw? and which screw?

So has anyone got idea what could be happening?

i kept the bike running all afternoon and only gave one dab away! hence love the sport and bike apart from killing myself trying to start the blooming thing!

Help please!!!!

my mates 04 290 had a similiar problem. it would start fine when it was cold but had none of it once it was warm. if he left it for 20 minutes it would start again.

ended up putting a harder plug in and its been spot on ever since.

worth a try

Hen,

First thing you always try on a two stroke, is a new spark plug. Use an NGK BP5ES. The 5 is the heat range that must be used for this bike. Then adjust the small screw on the left hand side of carb. It should be 3 to 4 turns out. Wind it in and less fuel, out , more fuel. Warm the bike up and try adjusting a 1/4 of a turn at a time till you feel the motor smooth out ,just as you open the throttle you should be able to notice a big change in the way the motor feels. If not the pilot jet could be blocked. :guinness:

Hi,

When doing a trial, i noticed my 05 290 was,nt starting as good as my mates on the same bike,anyway cut a long story short - i changed to a platinium plug [bp5vx] i think, please check - changed pilot jet to 36 and it transformed the starting - easy fix :D

hard start when hot on the sherco, often can be caused by a clogged pilot, easy test, see if it starts better with a little choke.

Dale you changed the plug and the pilot jet, which cured it ?

Makes sense to try one thing at a time.

Changed plug first - little noticeable inprovement - then pilot jet - lot easier starting, so i suppose you could credit the jet change for the improvement, but i think the combination of the two works very well and very happy i found it :D

thanks brian

i always use a new plug so dont think its the plug but im gonna change it again tomorrow. when i do the screw what is the correct process in doing it? do i do it with the bike running? do i tightening it up first then un screw it 3.5turns?

thanks for all you replys i will try this week end. dale was does set the pilot jet to 36 mean?

It's a different sized jet. I can't remember what the standard is, maybe a 32.

Strange I never had a problem with mine hot or cold. I think sometimes there may be a big advantage to a bigger leg behind the boot. A mate's 300 Gasser is really bad to start but NEVER gives me a problem just through that little bit extra behind the boot I think.