Newbie Info Please

dirt_monkey

Hi all,

Im new to the site (tis great by the way) :D and also to trials and have a few questions for you if you wouldnt mind answering them for me. :wacko:

1) I quite like the look of the gas gas 280 pro and was wondering if this would be a good choice to start off with ?

i know brand hasnt got anything to do with it as gasser owners will say buy gasser and beta buy beta etc i was thinking more along the lines of the engine size ?

2) what will be a guide price for a decent 05 or 06 model bike i have seen so many different prices that i wonderd why ?

so whats a normal price for eiher 05 or 06 in good nick ?

3) I also wonderd if you could tell me what 4 stroke bikes are available ?

many thanks

jim,,,

i am a complete novice, weigh 15 stone and have just bought a 2004 280 pro. the 2 mods i immediately made were to fit a 10t sprocket and slow action throttle. i took it for a practice and loved it. i found the power helpful in pulling away from almost stationery (and often floundering) at a tight turn into a steep hill .the power was more of a help than a hindrance which seems to be the usual advice given. i could also use a higher gear than i would expect on steepish climbs. i am looking forward to entering a trial soon .

On gassers - the 280 is the most snappy and harder to hold onto (when tired). I'd go for a 250 or 300, the 250 gives less, more controlled power, the 300 will give you smoother power but lots of tourque if needed (good when you need to plug your way out of a technical section with loads from the bottom end).

Hope this helps .... :D

After trail riding dirtbikes for a year, myself and two friends have recently picked up Trials bikes in the hope of becoming better riders. My friend who rides a KTM 525EXC, got a 2004(?) Scorpa 250 and seems quite content. My other friend who rides a Kawi KLX250 first got a 1996 Beta 250, but quickly upgraded to a 1999 GasGas 321.

Lastly, I got a good deal on a 2004 GasGas 300 Pro.

Of the three of us, I'm by far the one who is having the most trouble. Even though I've mellowed it a little with a "slow" throttle, it still bites me when I stumble on the throttle. The other issue I'm having is that on the really slick stuff I seem to have way more trouble getting traction. Apart from my lack of skill, I also feel that the outright power, light flywheel and geometry are contributing to my problem (place my friends could climb on their bikes, they couldn't on mine). After riding the lower displacement bikes I think I'd be happier on a 200, and possibly a different brand.

Now as for my friends, they are both seemingly comfortable with what they have. Even though the 321 is bigger than mine, it really seems to suit my friend. Although I haven't ridden it yet, many others have commented that it is a much more Friendly bike to ride than mine (Heavier flywheel, Not as highly tuned, Geometry not designed specifically for hopping).

I think I should also mention that my friends are naturally better riders than me. They are more confident, and more apt to try sections that I won't, or will hesitate on. So that may also contribute to why we like the bikes we do.

Good Luck

hi jim, you didn`t say how old you are and if you are of youth age and want to enter trials you will be limited to 125cc, ( correct me if i`m wrong anybody) i have only been riding since august last year and started off on a gasgas 280 it was a bit to powerful so i bought a beta 250 (03) my riding has improved in a big way, the bike is so much easier to ride with smoother power delivery and feels more stable.

good luck, gary

hi,

yeah should have been a bit more specific i suppose,

im 23 and looking for a bike for at first just around my friends woods to learn then maybe once i feel a little more confident then look to join a club and start trialing a little more on the competitive side.

cheers,,