Running In A New 4rt

daggs888

Gary's right,

If you're there, Rookhope will be a great run-in for your bike, good long course, but no where to go too fast, nice mix of sections, plodders & revvers,

I'd change the engine oil & filter straight after that first trial just to pick any bits of swarf or dirt out of the motor, then go into your normal maintenance regime.

On mine, I time it all by the fuel I put through. I use a 4.1/2 gall jerrycan for the petrol. I change the engine oil every 2 jerrycans, I change gearbox oil and the engine oil filter every other engine oil change.

Some say that's not enough, others, if honest do it a lot less. I know several have never had the filter changed in 2 years.

Adam Lynam has an engine hour meter on his bike (a clock triggered by the HT lead) he's averaging 3-3.1/2 hours running time per trial, this uses a bit less than a gallon of petrol, so we're changing the engine oil every 30 hours, filter and gearbox oil every 60 hours. Seems pretty frequent to me with modern oils.

When I change the engine oil, it still looks clean, I use a high detergent oil (i.e. modern multigrade) When I change the filter I've never seen anything in its folds to concern me. When I change the (ELF) gearbox oil, it is dark - i guess it's contaminated with abraded clutch plate, this would affect the clutch more than the gears or bearings - but I never notice a difference afterwards.

If you want case protectors or a chain guard for your new bike, I'll have some at the trial.

Edited by GII

Imho you only have to change the gearboxoil the same frequency as for a two-stroke! If you change the engineoil and its stil very clear than your replacing it to soon, not that you should use it till it's black but it's no problem if it looks "used". Another thing is that the oilfilter only starts to work properly when it gets a bit dirty so changing it to often has a reverse effect, instead of putting in a better filter, you put in a new one that doesn't work properly yet!