Sherco 290 07 Setup Details?

gasgasian

Can anyone shed any light on setting up my Sherco clutch?, its a 290 07 machine, having rode Gas Gas bikes for a number of years, (to many!) I have always had a light and smooth clutch action which had a definite release point;

I put ATF Dextron 3 in gearbox and have also put same oil in Sherco box. The Sherco clutch seems fairly heavy even with AJP long levers fitted for leverage and extra control. My lad had same light switch clutch on his Beta but we cured that after sandblasting clutch steel plates, it

Sorry, the spec is 10-40! Much thicker than ATF!

You could blast the steel plates, as you stated, just be careful! Too rough and it will tear up the friction plates!

I have seen some folks remove 2 or even 3 springs for a softer clutch in the smaller bikes for the kids. Not sure the 2.9 will handle that, depends upon how much power you apply! I'm sure it would slip if you nailed it!

Did you know that the "shortie" levers actually have a greater distance from pivot to the sweet spot on the lever than the longer ones? Resulting in slower clutch action.

All personal pref, as you stated.

The Boyesen reeds and a slight timing reset smooth the bike just as well as the Kiehin. I traded off with a Caby rep rider last weekend and the opinions were the same, at least on the bottom end. The Kiehin will make power on the top at WOT, but then you need a quicker clutch, like the pro riders!

Hope that helps.

Copemec, thanks for reply, i could try shorter lever, matbe could put some washers under clutch springs to relax spring pressure slightly? Whats this about timing alteration? have you any details, retarding by how much? Will it affect power though....I need loads..:-)

Had Boysen reeds in all my Gassers, mega move!!

Regards,

Ian.

The standard timing mark on the stator plate is normally factory set to the right edge of the top casting web.

You can rotate the plate the plate to the left till the tic mark alighns with the top screw, 6-7mm, for pretty much slowing effect which makes things very smooth, halfway just to knock the edge off. Less kickback and better resistance to stalling at low revs. Still lots of power!

I am running the dellorto at 35/120 jetting and about 2 3/4 turns out on the fuel screw range. No jetting changes with the Boyesens but I did have to reset the screw a bit.

The standard settings for the Kiehin/ Sherco are 45/125, JJH needle in middle position as I recall. Some other mods are neccessary as well.

Cheers,

Hi Copemech, couple of questions, have you retarded the ignition on your 07 or left it standard and did you ever try the additional base gaskets on offer on the Sherco spares website and did it feel any different to retarding the ignition?

Thanks in advance.

I'm puzzled

I just bought an 07 290 after riding Gas Gas for the last 8 Months. I find the Sherco clutch lighter but also sharper, its fine once you get used to it but I'm wondering why yours is heavier ? I have noticed that the adjuster screw on the lever doesnt seem to line up properly with the Master cylinder with either the AJP long lever or the apico one, perhaps I should go back to the original shorter lever ?

In years past, I always found a stock 2.9 to be quite a handful of power and I came to like the 2.5 in '05.

The '06 2.9 I had was still too much, although with a little mellowing, worked ok.

The '07 2.9 is much smoother to begin with in my subjective opinion, yet I set the timing back 6mm to begin with, more out of habit than anything, huuummm, not bad! Maybe too slow, but not bad at all!

Installed the Boyesens, which are smoother yet still very responsive and I have been very pleased with the smooth yet strong power. Mind you I weigh about 80k so I am not as large as some. I am also what might be considered your average clubman rider and do not need to perform 6ft splatters on the bike. Control is the word for me, the better, the better! Power is a non-issue! A good 125 rider can show you that!

In ref to the base gaskets. Close inspection reveals that the factory appears to be using the select fit gaskets in the build process now and have reduced the compression or increased the "squish" area along with some head mods on the '07 and my bike seems to have 2 gaskets already. Not quite sure the thickness of the second gasket as manufacturing tolerances are taken into consideration here and they may vary.

The maximum number of standard gaskets is 3 and I would probably never use more than 2! As the bike seems to basically already be equipped with 1.5, the difference would be negligable and that experiment deemed unneccessary.

I am happy with mine in its current state and only minor changes. I may play with the Kiehin, later though.

My 2c.

Edited by copemech