Hard Rock

alan_nc

Group,

Anyone else ride AHRMA Vintage Trials at Hard Rock in FL this past weekend? Would love to hear what others thought. For anybody who didn't attend - it was sort of an underwater trial. It rained (hard) from about 8:00am until maybe 5:00pm. Every section had some flowing water in it and was 2 to 4" deep in mud. Don't know if I saw a 'clear' the whole day. With my poor skills and my 59 Bantams limits I was in real trouble from the start.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

My father (john knapp) rode and said it was tons of fun. He was sorta bumed that his compeition went under... (litterally under water) but he always enjoys the florida event. My mom worked the score cards. He was surprised that the greeves ran through that much water. I suggested having a camel back pour water on the ignition for the dry events to keep things in check. Being english the bike was probably designed in the rain.

--Biff

Can't say that I had " Tons O' Fun " .

The delayed start time from 10 am -230 pm was a blessing in that it afforded time to salvage what we could of the camp with 6-8 inches of flood water rushing thru . I remember the terror in my Wifes eyes :D , that surely we were going to swept away ! (The 8x12 camp carpet remains as part of the Florida realestate under 3 inches of mud ) :o The curse being that no one seemed to know if it was going to be canceled or what and after lunch and couple of brewski's it didn't seem to matter much anyways . Needless to say , by the time it started the spirit wasn't there and after the first section I couldn't see with /without my D*mn glasses . After the "Water Hole " at section 6 , things really went to hell after that . Just a matter of slogging thru . I was actually happy I was riding the shortest Event ever and glad I didn't bring the Cub . Just wasn't a good start for a vacation . :thumbup:

On the positive side , my buddy Lawrence , took his class and Sunday the Sun came out .

Would I ?...Yep , you bet ! :thumbup:

Biff,

Don't know if you realized it in advance but I'm your Dad's competition (well thats stretching it) but I am the one who ended up totally under water. I'm riding along the traill between sections two and three and the next thing I know I'm in chest high water (and I'm standing on the pegs). Two gents helped me pull her out, I pushed back to my camp site, drained the water out of the crankcase, put in a new plug, dryed the points but no luck on a re-start.

My camp site suffered about the same fate. My canopy blew over, bent it all up, and my tent flooded from the sideways rain. Every stitch of clothing I had was wet. Drove home from FL to NC with no shoes on, sweat pants and an old sweatshirt I found under my truck seat.

Yes, I'd do it again - but I'm staying in a motel next year.

Hope to see everyone at Devils Ridge in April. OH - yes I have the bike running, think I have cleaned everything out.

Alan