First Ride

chader

Well, after nearly 2 months of buying gear, spare parts, doing initial setup '03 Sherco 2.9 and waiting for the snow to clear, I got my true first ride in this weekend. We had great weather and I got in almost 3 hours on my new bike.

I was initially nervous and a bit timid of the bike. I haven't been on any dirt bike for about 5 years and this 2.9 seems to have tons-o-grunt. After about 1/2 hour of playing and wheelies up small ledges I started to loosen up. The slow throttle made me more comfortable compared to the few short runs I had with the faster one.

I was practicing fig-8's and wheelies. But I also wanted to have some fun besides structured practice. I alternated play riding sections and working on the basics to keep it interesting. I even got in some speed runs in rolling hills and did some fun power wheelies.

You couldn't wipe the smile off my face all day. I even tried some bigger logs and rock ledges later in the day. I had one minor laydown when I rolled into a rock section without walking a line first and got off ballance. Other than that, I had a perfect first day.

Some here may know that I ride bike trials from my earlier posts asking for advice. I have to say that I think the basic balance transfers over well. I also noticed that for a ride of similar length and effort, I was far less sore after my moto ride. Bike trials seem more demanding on my knees in particular. I am usually sore for a day after a full day on the bicycle.

The only soreness I had after the moto ride was my lower back. I attribute that to just being out of shape in general and not having prior experience in moto trials. I'm 33 and was hoping the moto trials would be easier on my body. It seems to be true. But I still plan to ride both because TRIALS RULES, whether powered by me or dino fuel.

Now I have three weekends to practice before my first comp. I think that will be plenty of time to get more comfortable on the bike and be ready for one of the entry level classes.

I want to thank all who helped me over the last 3 months. Your input and expertise helped me get a bike I am very happy with. I am soooo excited to keep learning on and off the bike. This should be a great summer.

Edited by Chader

Hey Chader - Glad you finally got out riding - WE know only too well what the long

winter snow is like. - My buddy from Elko also got out for his first ride last Sunday,

Elko is just North of the USA border near Fernie BC. Have fun and maybe think some

more about coming to the Outlaw Trial in May.

I have a sticky on my calender with your event dates. It is pretty far and I am considering another 2-day comp in Colorado on the same weekend. But nothing is set in stone yet, so I may be there.

Chandler good to read about your first ride after 5 years.I'm the same have not ridden a Dirt bike for six years just ridden my MTB bike.While I'm still looking for a Trials bike I have ridden a couple of test rides and the biggest difference i noticed coming from a MTB bike to a Trials bike was the noise and smell.Still great fun though.

I bought a trials bike after 8 years of mt. biking. I rode dirt bikes and trials bikes in the 70s and 80s.

The mt. bike skills/slow speed skills really cross over.

The hardest thing for me was and still is, is to get my weight back and to the outside of the bike in certain situations.

It's a blast and a lot more physical and exhausting than I expected.

Have fun!!!