1985 Tlr 250?

troutrader1

I've just purchased a TLR 250, not going.... I cleaned out carby and airfilter fitted new plug, started second kick???? now it revs fine and has plenty of power but stalls, i have screwed the idle screw all the way in, adjusted the mixture screw to different settings?

The bike will idle after being reved up but then will slowly idle down to stop?

ANY IDEAS!!!! please?

I think the float level maybe high will this cause this problem?

fully warm it up by riding it for 5 or 10 minutes then try adjusting the idle, sounds like its just not warm enough and remember a quarter turn on either screw can make a big difference.. if you have a manual use the settings that are reccomended and start from there... if no manual start with the air screw about 1.5 to 2 turns out and the idlescrew or float level screw screwed in so that the bikes idleing fast then screw out the idle screw a quarter a turn at a time till it falters. once your sure of where the screw is too far out screw it in an eighth of a turn from there that ought to get you a bike idleing on the idle screw to get it ecactly right is going to mean adjusting the airscrew in or out by quarter turns until you find the 'sweet spot' you might have to make SMALL adjustments on the idle screw again but at this stage of the process the word is SMALL

might take a little time and no small frustration but stick with it.

if you absolutely cannot get it right after a day or so strip the thing and check the float height etc

Edited by totalshell

Check that the pilot jet is not blocked - and blow through all the airways again on the carb.

The jets are very small as are some of airways - its unlikely float is out.

The float height is easy to set / check - by rurning the carb upsides down - there are two flats either side of the float bowl, the height is set from here and should be 20mm (200 is different)

Thanks for all the replies, I have recleaned carby and warmed up bike, before adjusting. bike will now idle but still seems to have a pop type miss at idle? seems to run good at above idle, will persist to find miss.

Thanks again for help.

sounds like your moving in the right direction. the point your at now is the most frustrating, so close yet not close enough. keep making small adjustments ( as little as a 16th of a turn of each of the screws, in and out) until you are happy. Only adjust one screw at a time and leave the bike plenty of time to settle (30 secs or so) before making another adjustment. BEFORE YOU START make a clear note of where the screws were before you started so that you can always go back.

i had an old Mont that took me a fortnight , playing every day, at this stage to get just right , but when I did the mont won first time out.

best wishes and hope the weather in Aus is as beautiful as it is here today on the pennines.

Other suggestions would be check the fuel line/filter for blockage. make sure the carb to intake is snug and no air is leaking through . And also check for a weak spark, and make sure the plug wire ,coil connectors and ground are making good contact. Or even dirty air filter could be the culprit. If the carb has been cleaned well and adjustments dont seem to work ,you might want to check these other things.