Tlr200 Rear Wheel Bearings

petej

Can anyone out there tell me what size bearings should be used in the rear wheel of a TLR200E?

The complete NTN 6201 LU bearing on the drum brake side fell out when I took the brake drum off. The hub looks ok - there's no crack in it so I'm wondering if the bearing is the right one.

TIA,

Pete

Hiya...can't help you on what size it should be (sorry)..but if you look on it, there's usually some numbers which tell you the size.

If you have trouble getting them...let me know, 'cause I can get any bearing under the sun here in HK...AND they're cheap...could always post you some. :wacko:

providing that the bearing was the right size but just a bit worn out then you should be able to take it to the nearest half decent tool shop, show it to them and they should have a replacement. At least thats the way it works here in Jersey.

Update:

The local Honda dealership still has a microfice of the 1984 TLR200!

There are 2 bearings in the rear hub: a 6301 on the sprocket side and a 6201 on the drum side. The o.d. of the 6201 is 32 mm. I measured the old one (which fell) out with a vernier and its 32 mm. :D

The hole where the 6201 should fit measures 32.2 mm. I'm not sure how or what the previous owner did to get it to this size. The wall thickness is 4 mm so machining it out further will be dicey.

Any sensible suggestions on how to make it fit without a) bodging it, and ;) spending a huge amout of money on getting it done and having to fit different shaped spindles/spacers?

For context, Honda UK can supply a brand new hub for

Ok, I know you did say no bodges but dependidng on how much free play there is you have a couple of options.

First the bodge - If the bearing is a loose push fit but doesn't have any free play use a centre punch and 'dot punch' the hole at equal spacing all the way round. This will raise lots of tiny bumps which will grip the bearing, also use plenty of Locktite

Second suggestion - If you can't bore out to fit a larger bearing how about bushing to fit a smaller one?

Many thanks for your suggestions Steve. I'm south of Gloucester.

There was no sign of loctite previously being used to hold in the old bearing. However, as you'll see from the photo, there were 4 spot punches - the bumps of which must have been polished up by the outer wall of the bearing spinning round inside the hub.

I had a look at the Loctite web site today and the 461 bearing sealant is good for gaps up to 0.2 mm (as long as its given 72 hours to set). I think some of this along with several more spot punches interleaved with the existing ones should do the job. What do you think?

Pete

post-13-1082654531.jpg

Hi

i had the same problem on an old twin shockbike i had (can't remember which one). anyway what i did was to heat the hub up slowly and carefully with a blow lamp around the bearing orifice, and i use a heavy duty hose clip around the outside to squeese in the sides.

I may just have been lucky but it worked ok till i sold the bike and mad the bearing a tight fit again. i checked the hub after and it didn't distort, and i didn't need to have the wheel rebuilt.

Glenn