Bultaco T250

dave dix

Hi guy's, i have been on the dreaded ebay again and got a real nice T250 (1978) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

but 3 of the front wheel spokes are broken so where can i get a few spokes and nipples (10 inch ones ) besides bultacouk.com as they only seem to sell them in sets?

Also what colour should the frame on a 198 model should be ? as this one has a nice dark blue colour but i thought it should be black!

thanks

Dave

Dave, Check out this page

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/cwc/spoke_d...ke_details.html

Then take off another spoke, go to their home page and work through the order process, send it to them and they will make up spokes.

However...

Before you do this first check if you can thread the spokes through in the correct position. Some spokes cannot be threaded through individually. Also, try turning a few of the other nipples (as you will have to do to realign the wheel when you insert the new spokes). Bultaco spoke nipples have a habit of siezing and snapping and no ammount of wd40 will free them.

To be honest, it will probably be easier (and cheaper) to go back to ebay and wait for a whole wheel to come up.

Actually..... bite the bullet and buy a whole set of spokes and re-spoke the whole wheel - its a weeks worth of fun re-threading them and aligning the wheel!

With red tank and trim the frame should be silver.

Tim

Dave, Check out this page

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/cwc/spoke_d...ke_details.html

Then take off another spoke, go to their home page and work through the order process, send it to them and they will make up spokes.

However...

Before you do this first check if you can thread the spokes through in the correct position. Some spokes cannot be threaded through individually. Also, try turning a few of the other nipples (as you will have to do to realign the wheel when you insert the new spokes). Bultaco spoke nipples have a habit of siezing and snapping and no ammount of wd40 will free them.

To be honest, it will probably be easier (and cheaper) to go back to ebay and wait for a whole wheel to come up.

Actually..... bite the bullet and buy a whole set of spokes and re-spoke the whole wheel - its a weeks worth of fun re-threading them and aligning the wheel!

With red tank and trim the frame should be silver.

Tim

Hi Tim,

yes the other spoke nipples are a bit knackered and i suppose had better look out for a replacement wheel as i hate re-building wheels!!! When i worked in a m/c shop 25 years ago that was my job so i have hated it ever since!

Dave

Thanks for the pics, my one is close with an ally tank but the engine bottomhalf is un-painted and it has the thru shaft for left or righthand change.

Took it out today and it ran a bit 4 strokey until i popped the carb off my ty250 and put it on the sherpa and that done the trick!!!! it just pulled beautifully with a carb change even though i have cleaned out the mk2 anal sorry amal, very torquey lump

Dave

Can you tell me what model ty250 carb you used and did you have to rejet? I am interested in this swap of carbs....

HI ,

i borrowed the carb off my 1986 ty 250 mono , TK was cast on the side of the carb and i haven't re-jetted it but i have just go hold of 2 mikuni's for my t250 and my monty 348 so i will have a bit of fun jetting them to suit

Dave

Can you tell me what model ty250 carb you used and did you have to rejet? I am interested in this swap of carbs....

HI ,

i borrowed the carb off my 1986 ty 250 mono , TK was cast on the side of the carb and i haven't re-jetted it but i have just go hold of 2 mikuni's for my t250 and my monty 348 so i will have a bit of fun jetting them to suit

Dave

Also i managed to get a few spokes from just spanish which was great news as i didn't have to buy a complete set

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally found the perfect match to sherpa T250 1978 model "non reed valved" carby, have tried heaps of carbs including TY mono carb and found as follows, for those who wish to get rid of the melted down saucepan carby? AMAL....

Yamaha DT 175 Mikuni

keep standard needle and needle jet. set clip one above middle.

main jet "190"

pilot jet "35"

air screw 3/4 off seat.

hope this helps someone as it has been a long battle..

Carb doesn't make much difference to me I have two identical Sherpa M91 (both early style frames) one runs a Mikuni (swapped onto the bike in 1970s) and the other runs the original Amal. Both work great and to be honest can't tell the difference.