Air V Water

dale

Just thinking about the general move to 4 strokes - Why are the new generation of bikes water and not air cooled?

I would be interested in your thoughts on this.My pros/ cons on air are-
Pros -Lightness Cons-Temp control Noise Cost
Simplicity
Ease of maintence
Cost

I am sure someone will come up with more to add to either list but IFAIK even temperature is easier to achieve on a 4 stroke due to 50% less firing strokes?Also with good metallurgy / ceramic technology it should be possible to overcome any problems, as to noise, most is due to exhaust note not engine noise anyway, just my thoughts - always willing to learn. Edited by dale

Just thinking about the general move to 4 strokes - Why are the new generation of bikes water and not air cooled?

Simplicity

Ease of maintence

Cost

I am sure someone will come up with more to add to either list but IFAIK even temperature is easier to achieve on a 4 stroke due to 50% less firing strokes?Also with good metallurgy / ceramic technology it should be possible to overcome any problems, as to noise, most is due to exhaust note not engine noise anyway, just my thoughts - always willing to learn.

Simplicity

Ease of maintence

Cost

I am sure someone will come up with more to add to either list but IFAIK even temperature is easier to achieve on a 4 stroke due to 50% less firing strokes?Also with good metallurgy / ceramic technology it should be possible to overcome any problems, as to noise, most is due to exhaust note not engine noise anyway, just my thoughts - always willing to learn.

Less firing strokes but a lot more moving parts causing friction.

Watercooling gives the designeer far more control over temperature. On a cold day the fan stays off (or stat stays closed), whereas with an aircooled engine the fins still take away valuable heat.

Mr Honda was an advocate of air cooling, early Honda motorcars were air cooled, then they realized that it is not possible to keep an even tempature throughout the engine, with air cooling, hot spots create unequal expansion, and as mentioned in previous postings, clearances are larger to overcome these problems. Properly designed watercooled engines keep everything constant.

Edited by ask greeves