Exhaust Paint

g4321

Ha anyone any suggestions of the best heat resisting paint to use on a TLR exhaust system.

Have tried a few over the years but tend to find they fry off the exhaust pipe very quickly (silencers seem less problematic).

Gordon

Ha anyone any suggestions of the best heat resisting paint to use on a TLR exhaust system.

Have tried a few over the years but tend to find they fry off the exhaust pipe very quickly (silencers seem less problematic).

Gordon

Most paint won't last long on the exhaust of a competition bike. Try these people for a ceramic coating - used by lots of renovators.

http://www.camcoat.u-net.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Gordon;

I have found that any of the "high heat" paints will work, but the trick is to clean the pipe really well with acetone of some similar solvent before you paint...

Hope this helps

Murray

Get it shot blasted then use as many coats of HT paint you can, then you need to get it hot, so that it hardens properly. I didn't know that when it gets hot, it melts then hardens. My left boot (white) now is an interesting shade of black.

If you can, ride it on the road somewhere to get it nice and hot.

AYE, AYE GORDON,

i USE pj1 HI TEMP PAINT.

It comes in matt and gloss. As previously stated it is all down to the preperation,

I would get it shot blasted and zinc phosphate primered, then heat up the exhaust if possible,prior to spraying.

Put the spray tins in a bowl of hot, but not boiling water, for about 10 minutes, before you spray.

This will thin the paint enough, in order to get a smooth finish.

See, i do have my uses!!!

Get it shot blasted then use as many coats of HT paint you can, then you need to get it hot, so that it hardens properly. I didn't know that when it gets hot, it melts then hardens.

Thanks for the interesting replies - some I agree with, others I dont..

I found that the several coats technique works on two strokes sine the exhaust seems to be colder, on an air cooled 4 stroke this is a no no - the paint will crack if you have too much paint on the exhaust - certainly with the paint I was using.

Preparation I sand blast the exhaust to bare metal and paint using the procedure the tin says.

was using a 650deg centrigrade paint, all that was locally available for a while. I tried everything including curing the paint using hot air gun or blowtorch and in an industrial oven at around 150deg C but to no avail - I have come to the conclusion the paint aint hot enough _ it worked on two strokes well enough or too many coats spoils the job - the tins all say one good coat or similar.

I have recently bought some PJ1 which is 816 deg C - I am hoping the extra temperature is the answer, I will let you know when I try it. (This was before Monty rose from the dead)

I have also found some higher temp silver paint - 700 deg C which I will use on another bike - Sperex brand - this even says dont build up a thick coating.

Gordon

Why Honda never fitted a stainless pipe in the first place is beyond me!

Hi there,

just bite the bullet and use HPC coating, they have a range of colours and the Aluminium finish is definatley heat proof, it will buff up with Solvol to look ( allmost ) like chrome.

Shouldn't cost a fortune as the header pipe is quite small,

:beer: