Clutch, And Gearing-down Problem

jaycare

clutch still not disengaging properly,

bleed good few times using every different methods, still no improvement,

can see air rising when i take of master cover.

and now im finding it realy hard to gear down,

problem persists even when bike is hot.

Hi Jaycare,

Do you mean the clutch is dragging?

On the 02 PRO there can be a problem with air getting into the clutch slave due to the 02 design and machining of this particular area. I attempted many fixes for one 2002 clutch but resolved it by fitting a new 2003 onwards PRO clutch cover which has a different diameter slave piston and extra webbing in the clutch cover, you may have to do this to solve your problem. Bleed the clutch from the slave upwards, I usually lay the bike over to the left side, then remove the master and fix it to a handy chair so it is higher than the slave. Use a hydraulic oil for the hydraulics (2005 onwards use mineral oil for the clutch actuation)

On this year model, use a mineral 10 weight oil, 450ml from absolute empty or an ATF rated to Dexron III in the gearbox. No synthetics.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi,

ye when i pull the clutch lever the bike will still move, at a lower speed.

ive bleed it a few times but it doesnt seem to fix it , however it does make a difference for a few minutes.

can you strip and check seals in the clutch?

it seems like there is air getting in , but i cant see were?

what sort of money will it cost to change to a '03 clutch cover?

Cheers for your reply

Fergus.

Edited by jaycare

Hi Fergus,

There is no real way to check the seals other than by replacement.

The seal kits are not dear, replace the master cylinder kit and the slave cylinder. Be sure to state that the slave is from an 02 model as the seals (2 O rings) are different to the later models. The best seals were Teflon coated O rings, P/N MT280432047.

I am not sure now if you can still obtain the changeover clutch case kit that uses hydraulic oil, it is definately available with mineral oil seals, as fitted to the 2005 onwards PRO's. (Mineral oil actuation in lieu of hydraulic oil) They should not be very pricey at all. Ask your closest dealer for details as this can get tricky! Ideally you would need the newer type clutch case with hydraulic oil seals.

Try the master kit first, then the slave kit and see how you get on.

Good luck, PeterB.

Hi Fergus,

I have given you the incorrect gearbox oil quantity, for the 02 model, specification is 350ml, though it was ok to run at 400ml. Too much oil would just exit via the breather so no problems anyway.

Bye, PeterB.