Hello And Getting My Son Started

dimjim

I've just registered, so I thought I'd say hello.

I've just joined my son into the Surrey School Boys Club, so he can start riding. Until going along to a Trials for him, I've never been to one and I feel that I've lost many years, of having ago myself. :wall:

Anyway this year, I'm going to get him going and maybe next year, I'll try it.

So advice on first bike please, because I've had a lot of different opinions.

He's 7, but small for his age. He's had a few goes on a PW50 and has got on fine. he sat on a GasGas 50 and his feet just touch the ground and he looked even smaller than he is.

So:

I think I should spend a couple of hundred quid on ebay and get him a PW50, although he's probably the max size for it, but its light for him to pick up and he'll gain bike skills and loads of confidence.

Others have said get him a TY80, a proper trials bike - but I think the clutch will be far too much for him, so he won't be able to concentrate on riding.

In a years time, i'll flog the PW and get him a GasGas (or something). This also means if he looses interest (I doubt it!), I will have only put in a couple of hundred, rather than the 1k odd required for a Gas gas.

Given I think he'll only use it for a year, should I go for even cheaper Chinese PW copy? :D

Any feedback very welcome.

Welcome to TC Jim,

It would be best to get a TY80 if your lad could master the clutch, however getting a PW would probably give him more encouragement, so you're probably making a wise decision there. Most clubs will be happy for him to ride the PW in the Youth D class but it would be worth checking before you turned up.

Warning..... Be prepared to become addicted, trials is a very sociable sport and one of the few motorsports where you can ride with your children over the same course at the same time. We have riders in their 60's who can show many of the youngsters (and the not so young!) how to ride, so don't let age put you off.

Let us know how you get on.

Pete

I've just registered, so I thought I'd say hello.

I've just joined my son into the Surrey School Boys Club, so he can start riding. Until going along to a Trials for him, I've never been to one and I feel that I've lost many years, of having ago myself. :wall:

Anyway this year, I'm going to get him going and maybe next year, I'll try it.

So advice on first bike please, because I've had a lot of different opinions.

He's 7, but small for his age. He's had a few goes on a PW50 and has got on fine. he sat on a GasGas 50 and his feet just touch the ground and he looked even smaller than he is.

So:

I think I should spend a couple of hundred quid on ebay and get him a PW50, although he's probably the max size for it, but its light for him to pick up and he'll gain bike skills and loads of confidence.

Others have said get him a TY80, a proper trials bike - but I think the clutch will be far too much for him, so he won't be able to concentrate on riding.

In a years time, i'll flog the PW and get him a GasGas (or something). This also means if he looses interest (I doubt it!), I will have only put in a couple of hundred, rather than the 1k odd required for a Gas gas.

Given I think he'll only use it for a year, should I go for even cheaper Chinese PW copy? :D

i went through the same pw50 ty80, sherco125

if i had to do it again

i would forget the pw 50 (he was bored within 2 months)

my son pick the clutch thing up in 15 minutes

with the help of turning the tickover up a tad

with in a week (and a big open field) the gears were no problem

there are still lots of good examples around (and spares)

this is a proper bike

this will last him for years

hope this helps

cheers

Any feedback very welcome.

Edited by rapid roy

Hello DJ, after cutting his teeth on an LT 50 and a Husky Boy, my lads 1st trials bike was an '02 GasGas TXT 50 Boy, beautiful bike that we bought new but a nightmare electrically. Nice features were discs front and rear, foot operated rear brake, two ratio gearbox (operated via a knob on the gearbox) and although it was an automatic, it still had a manual clutch. Spent some time at the dealers with electrical faults that stopped it running and in the end, we swapped for Beta Rev 50. I did read though that GasGas went on to put the faults right on subsequent models, so this could be a contender to the TY80.

Another similar size bike is the Beta Mini Trial, again a rev-and-go bike which is said to be bomb proof. Nearly sure these are single speed with a KTM motor and that both brake are on the handlebars.

At the end of the day though, you'll have to go with what your lad feels comfortable on! :wall:

Edited by GWREV3

Hello DJ, after cutting his teeth on an LT 50 and a Husky Boy, my lads 1st trials bike was an '02 GasGas TXT 50 Boy, beautiful bike that we bought new but a nightmare electrically. Nice features were discs front and rear, foot operated rear brake, two ratio gearbox (operated via a knob on the gearbox) and although it was an automatic, it still had a manual clutch. Spent some time at the dealers with electrical faults that stopped it running and in the end, we swapped for Beta Rev 50. I did read though that GasGas went on to put the faults right on subsequent models, so this could be a contender to the TY80.

Another similar size bike is the Beta Mini Trial, again a rev-and-go bike which is said to be bomb proof. Nearly sure these are single speed with a KTM motor and that both brake are on the handlebars.

At the end of the day though, you'll have to go with what your lad feels comfortable on! :wall:

The minitrial has a foot brake for the rear, rev 'n go auto, ktm engine and as said above - it's bullet proof :D

DJ,

Welcome to Trials Central. I joined a while back as I found myself in a similar situation of trying to decide which bike is best or better suited to my son's needs.

I ruled out a PW50as I thought that my son wouldn't get enough use out of it before it was too small for him. The Gas Gas 50s, I read about had alot of problems with electrical failures, and the last thing I need is to get ready to take the kids out and the bike won't start. (They're not all like that, but there's alot of people mentioning electrical problems with them on this site.) I toyed with the idea of buying a Sherco 50, but availability was a problem plus they are quite expensive. I settled on a 2003 Beta Minitrial. (Automatic) It is reliable, starts easy, lightweight and fairly cheap to buy. I have fitted a rear brake to the handlebar as my son has difficulty in locating the rear foot brake and I've fitted a kill switch that attaches to him to cut the bike out in times of crashes or in times of PANIC.

He was only 5 when I purchased the bike and could only (just) get his feet touching the ground. We have now owned the bike for just over a year and it now fits him really well.

Infact today I have ordered a new spark plug for it, it doesn't need it as it starts and runs so easily, but I felt guilty about the lack of maintenance I've given it and the lack of maintenance it's required, so thought I'd better treat it to something new, so that shows how reliable it's been.

When my oldest son moves up to a geared bike, the Beta will be passed down to his younger brother and after he's done with it, I won't have lost anymore than a

thanks for all the advice, although I suspect I've ignored most of it and done my own thing. :thumbup:

Initially I got off to a bad start and bought a Pw 50 that turned out to be a Chinese copy :D Fortunately, the seller was a decent man (he bought it as a "Yamaha" with receipts and everything) and gave me all my money back. I've now got a proper PW 50 and my sons first event is on Sunday.

I know he will grow out of it soon, but I still think its the best way for him to learn. there is the added bonus that everybody else can have a go on it cos its so easy to ride. I have already annoyed the next door neighours by riding it around the front lawn...

I'm still grateful for the info on other bikes, because if he is still keen in a few months I'll start a slow trawl for a good replacement. As far as I can see there aren't many junior 50s around at any one time, so I may need to allow months to find the right on (whatever I decide that is). If I find the right bike I'll grab it and it will be there when he's ready for it.

Cheers

Jim.