Rear Brake Wont Lock

jza

Hey Guys,

I have to start this thread by saying that i havent used the rear brake that much.. apart from on the long downhills where i have time to think "i'd best use the back brake"... in other words it not "natural" for me to use it yet.

Some of the guys down the club where messing about doing wicked skids to spin the bike round 180 degs...

They said to bang on the back brake to lock it.. then pivot the body aroung to start the slide.

I couldnt get the brake to lock at all :wall:

However hard i press the pedal - there isnt the power there to lock the tyre up.

No i do weigh 18 stone so maybe this has an effect?

Whats going wrong? Is the fact i dont use the back brake much causing me problems with the pads - or does it sound like i need the brakes servicing? I have checked the levels - they are fine - and there enough rear pad left.

There doesnt appear to be much "feel" from the back brake compared to my road bike? Any tips?

Cheers!

Jza

Yep, I had a similar problem on my 4RT, to begin with the back brake was fine, after a couple of months it was weak, plenty of pedal pressure but a weak brake. I bought new pads, took out the half worn ones and everything was fine, a powerful back brake. I assumed I'd contaminated the pads with WD40 or something.

Then another couple of months and a weak back brake again. I took the pads out and on inspection they had worn wedge shaped, thinner close to the rear wheel spindle. Further checks suggested that the pads were binding on the locating bolt that goes through the caliper and pads.

I cleaned the bolt up with emery tape and drilled the locating holes in the pads 1.0mm bigger than the bolt, then I lightly countersunk each side of the locating hole and filed the pads flat. Took about 20 mins at the next trial to bed the pads in (you can't file them really flat by hand - you'd need a surface grinder to do them properly) and they've been great ever since. Being tight I'd kept the old pads and they'll get the same treatment before re-installation when this set eventually wears out.

A bent rear brake pedal can also cause a problem, you can stand on it with both feet & it still wont work. Best cure for this is to fit a Sherco pedal.

LOL

Went and had a look at the brake lever again... seems the previous owner has "not mentioned" that the brake lever now resembles a boomerang LOL Think i'll be ordering a new one and then will try again.... thanks for advice :thumbup:

Jza

A bent rear brake pedal can also cause a problem, you can stand on it with both feet & it still wont work. Best cure for this is to fit a Sherco pedal.

LOL

Went and had a look at the brake lever again... seems the previous owner has "not mentioned" that the brake lever now resembles a boomerang LOL Think i'll be ordering a new one and then will try again.... thanks for advice :thumbup:

Jza

They do straighten.

had the same problem bent my brake pedal and as perce says you can stand on it and nothing,and i'am also 18 st. A friend of mine heated it up and staightend it,but it snapped on me at the start of day 2 of the lakes two day. Buy a new one and keep straightend one as a spare.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Perce,

From which year or model sherco will the brke pedal fit the RT, are there any modifications required or will it fit straight on ?,

Broke another pedal this weekend so perhaps time for a change.

H..

Hi Perce,

From which year or model sherco will the brke pedal fit the RT, are there any modifications required or will it fit straight on ?,

Broke another pedal this weekend so perhaps time for a change.

H..

As far as I know they're all the same, Munch aka Msport 01438742724 supplied me it when I bought the bike. I think he put Mont bearings in it. I'll photo it next time I see my bike.

[/quote name='PERCE' ]

As far as I know they're all the same, Munch aka Msport 01438742724 supplied me it when I bought the bike. I think he put Mont bearings in it. I'll photo it next time I see my bike.

Thanks,

Spoke to Munch today there's one on it's way up.

H..

Im a bit late on the scene but i had this problem once and found as a previous member has already said that i had contaminated the pads with WD40 accidently, i took them out filed off a thin layer and they were as good as new . However this was not on a Montesa so im not saying this is the only cause.