Fan

john nelson

Hi all , Just bought myself a 2004 280 gas gas pro yesterday and took it out for the first time, the thing overheated, I checked the fan and it wasnt working, removed the fan and it smells burnt out, the main question Im asking is how do you get the fan off the motor, surely you dont have to buy the whole assembly.

Hello John,

Yep, you just buy the fan motor/fan with the cowling attached - shouldn't be very dear.

It is unusual for the motor to be burned out, check the voltage from the fan module (rectifier) on the actual fan cowling, you should have around 12-13vDC when the thermoswitch kicks in.

You are not John Nelson from Guisborough are you? (An old friend)

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Peter,

Yes it is me, ive finally decided to get myself a modern trials bike, about time you say, how are you. anyway back to the bike, the fan had been jammed by a tyrap which I think is why it burnt out but with my meter on the I appear to be getting 20 to 30 volt depending on how fast the engine is running, any ideas.

Thanks

John

p.s. 6 day trials are on at the moment, remember about 25 years ago on the bridge.

Hi John,

Thought it were you!

I'll send you my email via TC.

Maybe the jammed fan caused a problem with the rectifier module - but then on the 04 280, I'm not sure if you have Ducati or Kokusan ignition/electrical systems. The Kokusan has a rectifier mounted on the fan cowling - you can check this out easy peasy with your DVM or Avo meter! The Ducati system has the 12vDC exiting from an aluminium box that also supports the ign map, located under the front of the petrol tank near the headstock. The fans can easily be checked on a car battery, not sure of the max voltage you can get away with, without damaging the fan windings, very fine wire.

It was at least 1977 at the scottish, and I don't remember the bridge thing, did the car go sideways? Just remember following an Ossa at over 70mph.

See ya, Peter.

Hi Peter,

Im sorry it could not have been 1977, Im not that old ?, Ill email you later off TC. My bike has the ducati ignition so it has the module under the tank, this also supplies the lights, Im positive there is 30 volts dc going to the fan,Im going to try the new fan on and see if this pulls the voltage down, Dont want to burn it out its just cost me