Ty350 Oil

wasmeneh

Just got my new to me TY350, I plan on running Maxima Castor pre mix oil in it (love the smell of castor and couldn't find any Klotz). I plan on draining the tank (smells of old gas) and refilling with 93 octaine(US) but I'm not sure of the advised pre-mix ratio. Is 32-1 a good place to start. Its been a long time since I mixed premix for a 2 stroke. 1968 Penton Six days, in 1970. After that all my 2 strokes were injected. My service manual is in the snail mail somewhere....

One more question, one time I turned on the gas and gas poored out of the carb overflow.... the next time it was fine. My diagnosis is sticking float.... sound right ?

Thanks in advance

Mike

carb, yes likely, especially if it was stored. Time for a good cleaning, add fuel filter. OEM tiny TY filters are no longer available, and carb parts about impossible so be gentle in the task. Small lawm\nmower filters work well.

I would not run castor oil, the maintenance and shelf life once mixed is a hassle. In 'the old days' the absolute maximum lubrication performance made it the oil of choice for extreme use, even with the draining and flushing tasks. Now, the synthetics are better lube, less smoke, and less maintenance. They have their own unique smells which you do start to appreicate. like a fine wine that take time to grow on you, inline at a section?

Anyway, I used YamlLube R but lot of smoke and deposits. Now I use Maxima synthetic, only because the dealer is close. I'd go any good fully synthetic premix oil. Not injector oil. I run 80:1 in the modern water cooled, but about 60:1 in the air cooled yamaha. 32 is way too rich for trials or trails, although I think the manual says that. That would be more for high load, high rpm.

TY has a lot of hot knocking issues, widely written about on the site. I use 2 or 3 parts 92 octane unleaded pump gas with 1 part 100+ octane race gas, for roughly 95 octane. Seems about the minimum to get away from the knocking. Removing the head gasket helps. The modifications typically done to TY are here somewhere.

Use a fine wire precious metal plug and it resists fouling better.

great old dinosaur, I still ride it occasionallyin events, and always ride it when out for fun with friends.

The oil I bought was Maxima Syn with castor so I hope it works out. I figured with the modern syn oild 32 to 1 would be rich but I'm a little surprised at 60 to 1. The bike already has a inline fuel filter and I am waiting on the manual before I clean the carb. Probably not much different than the Mik's on mu Kawa H1 B Mach 3 and I cleaned them ok.

I ran it a couple of minutes on the old gas an she idled fine with no noticeable noises or knock. I'll try some Amoco 93 1st and add the race gas if she Knocks.

Hpefully the mail will bring the manual and a new shifter tomarrow.

Thanks for the replys.

Mike

Over here in britain we can only get 95 or 97 octane petrol, so that's what I run mine on.

No noticable difference in my bike, just the price.