Fantic 205 Problems

mafferz

Hi, I'm new to the forum so please bear with me. I've recently bought a fantic 205 ( I think it's a 1990 model, 156cc air-cooled, white with Orange seat, hubs and forks ), and I have had problems with it choking up and stalling, and then not re-starting until I changed the plug, which was black and wet. I experimented with the fuel/oil ratio and I am currently running 60ml of oil to 5 litres of fuel, which i've been told should be fine. I screwed the air/fuel mixture screw on the carb in a few turns and it hasn't stalled since. Is turning the screw in definitely leaning it out? Also the exhaust is quite carboned up, can this cause problems? And how can it be cleaned? Also how much oil to fill up the forks? Any advice would be muchly appreciated ( first bike so not got much of a clue), thanks, mafferz. :thumbup:

I think its a 89' I had a 305 and it was a 89'.... Good bikes. I think your carb problem is the floats aren't shuting off the fuel and its flooding the bike. Remove the bowl on the carb and hook up the fuel line and push up on the bowls and see if it stop the fuel, if not bend the tap so that it will. I don't remember how much oil for the forks, just drain one and measure it, after you let the pressure out of the top of the tube. I used just 30 weight oil in the gear box, just fill it to the middle of the sight glass. That model has 3 flywheel weights.

• 2 weeks later...

Your question about the exhaust might be interesting. I had an air-cooled 125 beta when I was younger and after two years of practise it didn't run properly, I mean it had no power anymore. My Dad looked for an explanation of that lack of power for a quite long time until the day he wonders about the exhaust. But I'm talking about the central part of the exhaust, not the final one exclusively. The central part of the exhaust is the most important part and if it's full of non-burnt oil and that kind of things, the engine's power is lowered.

To clean it, if it's not in aluminium, there's no problem, make a barbecue !! Not kidding, make some wood burn in a barbecue and put the exhaust in it. It has to burn slowly but for a quite long time in order to make the oily paste which is in it turn into ashes. Then you just have to repaint it.

Now on the new bikes, we couldn't do it anymore as the central part of the exhaust is in aluminium... It's more complicated to burn. So I just have to "clean" my bike by riding back home by the road, gas full open !!

But don't forget never use any inflamable product in order to accelerate the process = danger !!