My Bike Doesnt Sound Right....

gaz

when my bike is running idle, it revs weird. The best way to describe it, is a "chugging" effect. As if its gulping bit of petrol at a time. It does this til it eventually fades and cuts out. When the bike is given some throttle it runs fine. Although when it is given some throttle, the revs tail off slowly. Not quick and responsive. I have tried tweaking the idle screw and mixture screw, but to be honest I dont really know how to set this up properly. I have stripped the carb down, and some of the o-rings have seen better days.

Any advice on what the problem could be and how to set this up properly?

:beer:

Gaz,

Strip and clean the carb and tell us which jets are in it. Carefully screw the mix IN and count the turns till it stops(gently). And if the rubbers are damaged order new ones!

What year is the bike?

Be sure to remove the hex at the fuel inlet to carb and ck the screen for dirt and while you are at it, drain the tank, remove the petcock and ck the screen there.

Before you start, start CLEAN by removing mudguard, tank and airbox. Block carb and fuel inne and powerwash the crap out of it so you do not spread dirt into the clean parts. Clean you air filter and wash out airbox while off.

One spec of dirt in the pilot jet will screw you, and if your bike does not have tubes on the bowl vents, short tubes of 60mm or less will help prevent stuff being sucked into the bowl vents which naturally tend to accumulate dirt due to the fuel and oil.

Nuff for now,

:beer:

Will get the carb stripped down tomorrow & new gasket kit ordered. This might sound stupid but what am I telling you about the jets, when I have the carb in bits?

Will let you know what condition the screens and carb vents are in.

The bike is an 04 290.

thanks copemech.

If you are anywhere near sea level(0-1000ft) the jetting (range)should fall between 33 and 36 for the pilot and 118-122 on the main I would think! It varies a bit bike to bike and carb to carb, but not much.

Although you may find nothing does not mean you have not disloged and fixed the culprit, even a drop of water lying in the bottom.

Remove the pilot jet and clean with carby spray or brake cleener, blow out bowl and all passages with compressed air if you can.

A light coat of oil helps the little choke system o-ring seat gently in the bowl when assembling.

Clean is Good! :beer:

Edited by copemech

Situation report Mr. Gaz ?

New seal kit has arrived, yet to fit. unfortunately I've been doing some long hours at work so haven't had time yet. Also found I'd bent my front rotor at bracken rocks the other weekend! I will hopefully get it fitted and tested today, if not this week. I'll keep you posted.......

:(

Edited by gaz