Ty 250 Carb Settings

nick collier

Hi gang.

I recently had a tankful of dodgy fuel. While out practising, the Ty just stalled while idling, and refused to start again. unfortunately, this is when I started to mess about with the mixture screws!! I have since cleaned out the tank and carb, but cannot get the bugger to start. I assume I have screwed (!!!) up the mixture. Does anyone know a good starting point to set the 2 screws at to help me kick her over??

Cheers,

Nick

As a starting point id set the pilot/airscrew 1 1/2 turns out from fully closed! as for the tickover screw it shouldn't matter to much as the engine should start no matter what position its in, have you checked the sparkplug? it might be fouled?

Hi gang.

I recently had a tankful of dodgy fuel. While out practising, the Ty just stalled while idling, and refused to start again. unfortunately, this is when I started to mess about with the mixture screws!! I have since cleaned out the tank and carb, but cannot get the bugger to start. I assume I have screwed (!!!) up the mixture. Does anyone know a good starting point to set the 2 screws at to help me kick her over??

Cheers,

Nick

normally if a ty wont start it is when the pilot jet is blocked this requires removing with a small flat screwdriver and blowing from either end as the jet is tapered, it would also be worth while removing all the jets . if you do not have access to a compressor a brake cleaning spray will help blow any dirt away . allow time to dry before re- assembling .do not wipe round with a cloth as cotton and fluff always find there way back in to the jets.

samb

As a starting point id set the pilot/airscrew 1 1/2 turns out from fully closed! as for the tickover screw it shouldn't matter to much as the engine should start no matter what position its in, have you checked the sparkplug? it might be fouled?

Thanks Scotty.

It seemed to be a mixture of the 2 responses I got. The carb did have a bit of crap in the jet. (I missed this when I first cleaned it out). Also, the plug or HT lead was faulty. It sparked when out of the engine, but stopped once seated in the head! What a bugger to assess! Anyway, a new HT coil and plug later, it started first kick!! Excellent!!

Cheers for the help. Will play with the mixture settings when next trialling.

Nick

Edited by Nick Collier