Bent Rotor

dfwilson

I have bent the front rotor on my 03 SY-250. It's not badly bent but its not usable in it's current condition. Has any one had any success straightening a rotor? If so how did you go about it? Any helpful ideas will be appreciated. I don't want to fork over the bucks for a new one. After all the front brake pads have hardly ever touched the front rotor except for mere moments just before I have gone over the bars.

Thanks

Doug

The material is very hard and brittle, heating will anneal and soften it, plus you have to have a lathe or something to true it with a BFH!

See if Lewisport has one of them fancy wave rotors, and use it for a frisbee!

You will look better and the women will flock to you! ;)

I have had good luck straightening rotors in the past using a dial indicator and a large adjustable wrench. I have not tried this with a floating rotor but it works well with one mounted solidly to the hub, with the rotor still on the wheel still on the bike.

I have a thin piece of scrap steel, about 12 x 12 inches, that I lay on my work stand top or on the floor below the wheel if you are working on the floor. Using a dial indicator with a magnetic base, secure the mag base to the scrap sheet and place the dial tip against the rotor. Rotate the wheel to find the high or low spot(s). In the center of the bend place the wrench over the disk, with it adjusted tightly to the thickness of the disk. Pull or push the end of the wrench in the direction needed to correct the bend. Then spin the wheel again to check your result. You will probably have to over bend more than you think to get it straight but you will develop a feel for it as you go. Good luck.

Frank

The same setup works for truing wheels too!!