No Rear Brake!

lastplacebrad

I have just finished putting new swingarm bearings on my 04 SY250 all good no probs, fastforward to putting rear wheel in, prised pads apart, no probs, give the bike a quick test up the street (my neighbours love me!!) .

Hey presto no rear brake!!!, where would you start ?, pull rear caliper apart? .....not too sure, help required please gents. :(

I had the same problem with my '03 SY250. I pushed the pads far apart to make fitting the wheel eaiser. However, the piston moves very little with each pump of the brake pedal so it took 50 or more pumps to reset the pads but it did finally work. My advice is to just keep pumping.

yes, many pumps is the key.

i bled my rear brake on 04 sy,and found it takes a long time to get fluid through.

Good way is to leave the caliper hanging before you bolt it on, open the bleed nipple,and pump it a bit, leave it hanging for a while so fluid can travel down....

Even when doing this the fluid still take a while to come through, keep on pumping the pedal!!!

also check that the line that caries the fluid from the resovoir to the master cylinder is ok,and has no cracks or tears,on closer inspection of mine i found it had been rubing on metal parts of the bike,which caused fluid to leak.

Its only a ruber hose, good idea to check and replace it every so often.

Edited by restoremaz

Knackered the back brake on my Beta at the Scottish, needed a new hose and the full bleed etc one I got it back together.

Don't know whether this helps or not but what I did was to take off the reservoir, attach a full (50cc) syringe to the hose, open the nipple and push fluid through till I had a solid column of fluid, ie no air bubbles then nip the nipple back up. Kink the hose between the res and cylinder (as close to the reservoir as possible) just enough to stop any back flow reattach the reservoir and top up with fluid, give it a few taps and any air in the top hose should bubble into the reservoir. Pump the brake a few times make sure your pads are closing and refit to the bike.

Should work , otherwise, your hose is leaking somewhere, your piston rubbers or your master cylinder is knackered.

CAVEAT.....This was on a Beta Rev 3, I have absolutley no idea of the set up of Scorpa back brake but the actual process might work for you, they can't be that different

Edited by Slapshot 3

• 3 weeks later...

Wahey rear brake up and running out for a ride tonight!!, it was the hose between the master cylinder and the fluid resevoir that had a tiny split in it but what with all the fluid flying around it was difficult to see where it was coming coming from ....until i had a moment of divine inspiration <_<