Q1. Seeley? History?, Q2. Tl200 Deal Or No Deal

tl200

Hi everyone...

Q1. Without being laughed at by all of you on this site !!!! , I have seen alot of references to "SEELEY" what is seeley, is it a Honda upgrade? can anyone give me an idea and point me in the right direction about Seeley, I hope to earn my wings one day, lol.......

Q2. I am getting back on a trials bike after 23 years when back then I owned a TY250, I have just purchased a TL200 (mid 80's I think, red,white and blue) I wanted a 4 Stroke and this was the most affordable one within my budget, did I do the right thing ?... I've read mixed reactions towards TL's..... does anyone have good or bad stories about the TL200 ?

Hi everyone...

Q1. Without being laughed at by all of you on this site !!!! , I have seen alot of references to "SEELEY" what is seeley, is it a Honda upgrade? can anyone give me an idea and point me in the right direction about Seeley, I hope to earn my wings one day, lol.......

Q2. I am getting back on a trials bike after 23 years when back then I owned a TY250, I have just purchased a TL200 (mid 80's I think, red,white and blue) I wanted a 4 Stroke and this was the most affordable one within my budget, did I do the right thing ?... I've read mixed reactions towards TL's..... does anyone have good or bad stories about the TL200 ?

Hi TL200

I feel sure one of the seeley experts on this site will give you the full history,

but basicaly the seeley was an authorised by Honda ,UK built bike,frame being made by Colin Seeley,

using Honda motor,and wheels,but Italian Marazochi forks.

If you have a genuine TL200,it could well be discribed as the clubmans bike for riders in Japan at the time,

not imported to the UK at the time

and the basis of what a Seeley was built from.your engine no should be TL200E????

There is also an RS200 ,which is very similar but with an alloy s/arm,and RS200T engine no`s

But please note,you say red/white and blue

are you sure it is not a TLR200 ? this is a more common bike,that was imported here,but some what different

Final note it could be a TL200 that has been painted in the red/white /blue,this is something riders in japan did.

Not much more to add to the Seeley info provided by motomike - In the late 70s Honda were enjoying some success with Rob Shepherd riding the 305 works Honda which evolved into the RTL360 which Lejeune later took to three world championships in early 80s. Honda wouldn't build a production version of these bikes much to the disappointment of Honda fans, but they did commission Colin Seeley to build a mini version of the bike which was the Honda Seeley 200. In looks it was very similar to the works bikes but was powered by the engine used in the RS200. Seeley made a few changes to it such as weighted crank, 198cc instead of the standard 194, maybe a couple of other things which I can't remember but still the same motor essentially. Between 3 - 400 were made which makes them a bit of a rarity these days. They were expensive at the time and I'm not sure how well they sold. They weren't a bad bike but not as good as the front line bikes at the time such as Fantics etc. Initially the steering was based on a Bultaco, but I think they altered it soon after - certainly doesn't feel like a Bultaco does, feels quicker. A few 250 versions were built for Lejeune and and others to ride in the Scottish and some world rounds. This isn't an easy conversion as it requires a longer stroke on the crankshaft as well as an overbore.

Here's a link to Brian R's site which has pictures of a Seeley and also, on the Home page is a picture of one of Lejeune's RTL360 works bikes.

Brian R's Honda website

As regards TL200 I don't know anything about them so can't tell you anything worthwhile. If it turns out to be a TLR200, they are a good bike and well up to the job of twinshock events or clubman routes in modern events

if you want a reliable clubman bike, then yes a good bike, and when it is realy muddy, they do seem to find grip.

but if you want to leap about and throw it arround then it may be just a bit heavy, i use 10/47gearing, which i find will tackle most things in second, first gear for realy tight turns

just did a trial today (sunday) and there was about 10 there, they do seem to be getting more popular, especialy with novices, easier to ride than some 2 strokes, like the fantics.