Fine Dust In Airbox?

mcman56

My 2.9 has mainained the cleanest airbox of any dirt bike I have had. However, I recently notice a very fine dusting of very fine dust in the box. I'm in CA and have been riding in extremely dry dusty conditions but have not noticed this before. Is this normal or to be expected?

There are no tracks or signs of an air leak. I cleaned the box and leak checked by filling with water. The filter is good and I use that super sticky Belray oil. The carb was almost perfectly clean. I recently replaced the box and may be looking at it a little more closely than before.....stimulating a little paranoia maybe???

Not like we don't have those dry times here, although I have not seen one in a while! Some of the places we ride, the dust is soo fine it is like talc powder, gets everywhere!

NO filter can trap 100 percent of everything without being too restrictive and the motor would not run! It is all measured such as "Catches 98% of everything down to 8 microns"!

Of course, water will wash dirt right through the filter, takes the dirt with it!

Good oil(plenty of it), regular cleaning is your best bet. I have been known to wipe the inside(bottom) of the box with the oil too. Not sure if it really helps much.

I have come to like the Jitsie filter, sort of a dual stage foam, and have had good results with the No-Toil oil and cleaner. Must be highly rated as Honda has private labeled it now and you can get it at your local Honda shop now, just FYI.

Cheers :thumbup: