2007 Fork Oil Amounts

howard

Hi All, we've changed 2 bikes' fork oil and found 250cc in right and 350cc in left , should be 370cc in right and 385cc in left. Has anyone else measured or have any ideas why the right should have 100cc less from the factory please?

There's a damping rod in the right fork leg that will still be full of oil, you'll have to take it out to drain it properly and it takes a while to get the majority of it out, I don't think you will ever get it all out. When refilling it's better to use the specified oil height measurement then it doesn't matter if you get all the old oil out.

Oil level on right leg: 60mm

With forks at bottom

Oil level on left leg: 110mm

With forks at bottom and without spring

Chris

I have been unsure about this issue from the get-go. Did not have the '06 long enough to need it, and the '07 is not there yet.

Think I would ck and set using the measures rather then the quantities! Before and after!

Gonna send this up the pipe to see the results! I think the info needs updating for sure! :wacko:

If you drain all the old oil out and put the specified quantity of oil 370cc in the right leg, the air space above the oil to the top of the fork will be 60mm near enough. The problem is it's nearly impossible to get all the old oil out even when taking the damper rod out and pumping it clear. I got my damper clear by puming as much oil as I could out then left it overnight stood upright then turned it upside down and left it overnight again.

Not sure how you'd word a update on the info, I guess you could put oil quantities are the quantities used when new and not to be used when doing a simple drain refill, when doing this use the oil height measurements taken from the top of the forks with the forks at the bottom of there stroke and with the spring removed.

Chris

I have been unsure about this issue from the get-go. Did not have the '06 long enough to need it, and the '07 is not there yet.

Think I would ck and set using the measures rather then the quantities! Before and after!

Gonna send this up the pipe to see the results! I think the info needs updating for sure! ;)

Thanks, We did empty the forks as we took them out to grease the head bearings so our totals are pretty accurate. Since posting I have ridden the bike and the front end is MUCH better with the 'correct' amounts of oil. Next time I will measure the height from the top rather than the quantities.

I have checked on this issue and the results are similar you your findings, BUT!

The oil quantities are correct. The levels are correct. The problem is getting all the oil out of the

fork on the cartridge side. You have to pump it for 20 minutes. Then when

you put oil back in, pump for 20 minutes again, to get all the air out of

the cartridge to verify level.

Personally, I think the measured quantity out and back in should be fine for a majority of fluid exchange, and with minimal problems. But you would still want to pump them a bit to be sure of no trapped air prior to verifing level.

This would probably apply to the similar Paioli forke on the Betas as well, but not sure.

So if your seals are leaking and you do not have a good starting point on quantity removed, get ready to pump a while!

I think I will just order an '08 model, or maybe a red rimmed Caby, or a 4t with red rims? Choices, choices! :blink:

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Is the 60mm fork height on the right side, cartridge fork intended to be:

(a): with the fork tube at bottom & damping rod as low as possible?

<or>

(B): with the fork tube at bottom & damping rod as high as possible?

Thanks!

As far as I know these measures are taken with fork in compressed position to allow for air headspece above the oil which makes sense .

At the same time I say that, I have only used the quantity method while insureing to get all the old oil out the damper and have not checked according to levels.

Hi,

I set it @ 60mm with the damping rod as low as possible to simulate the case you note. If the damping rod is all the way out, I think you'd add somewhere between 25-30mm to oil height.

I subsequently tightened both fork caps with the forks extended as far as possible.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Aaron